damaged BPV or bad solenoid?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on damaged BPV or bad solenoid? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently had a bit of bad luck that killed my turbo, the small hose going to the wastegate broke ...

Question damaged BPV or bad solenoid?

I recently had a bit of bad luck that killed my turbo, the small hose going to the wastegate broke and allowed me to over spool the turbo and pretty much kill it (at least I think thats what happend to it). I had serious boost lag, general lack of boost, and intermittent oil smoke that is now completely gone with the replacement turbo. I put a stock low mileage turbo on to get me back up and running, this turbo seems great except under gradual acceleration. When I am driving "normal" I experience a kind of flutter, or inconsistent boost feeling. Under heavy throttle it does great, pulls nice seems to do what it is supposed to. Can someone point me in the right direction? The car is mostly stock, I thought it was 100% stock until I did the turbo swap & took the heat shields off to find an aftermarket down pipe with no cat and resistors wired into the O2 sensor.

Thanks for any and all help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

how many miles are on this vehicle? Is the CEL on? take a look here.... http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/ima...mWorksv109.pdf there is a diagram of how everything should be hooked up ...I would go over all lines again and make sure everything is hooked up properly first....

I should check that line going over to the inlet pipe from the boost solenoid. I am fairly certain that all the other lines are properly in place, but I haven't had my hands on that other one. Thank you

Forgot to answer your questions, it has 73k and no CEL. Thanks.

no prob. man..let me know if you find anything...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I would go over all lines again and make sure everything is hooked up properly first....
    Checked everything over just now, looks to be good. Are there benefits to getting a good after market BPV with an otherwise stock car? My plans for this car are more or less just a stage 1 tune and something like a Borla Hush exhaust. Right now though I just want to get my driveability back.

No..keep the stock BPV...they are good up to 20 PSI and after that you can modify them to make them good to around 25 PSI...They all do the same thing...

Cool, are they known to cause any problems? Or should I look at the boost control solenoid first? I guess where I am headed with this is, what is most common to cause this type of issue? Thanks.
    Mostly stock 2003 bugeye wagon.

So..If your 100% positive all vacuum/turbo lines are hooked up properly and nothing is damaged....your clutch isn't slipping at all is it?...You mentioned "inconsistent boost feeling when giving gradual acceleration"...do you have a boost gauge in the vehicle? so what happens say your in 3rd and you give it a nice gradual acceleration up to say 5 PSI and try and hold it at 5 PSI? Personally Ive never seen a stock BPV cause any problems...but im sure it happens..as for the wastegate solenoid chances are you would get a CEL if anything went array with that...are you sure there arent any other mods on this car besides the DP? to make sure the wastegate solenoid is operating you should be able to plug the green PDI connectors in under the dash and when you do so the CEL will flash, the fans will cycle, and a bunch of solenoids/realys will be clicking..one of them being the wastegate solenoid ( you should be able to hear it clicking if you put like a screwdriver up to it and listen, or if you have a mechanics stethoscope)...But to answer your question I have seen more wastegate solenoid failures than BPV failures...

Sorry, no boost gauge, it is high on the to do list though. As for the clutch, it is very solid and smooth, it has given me no reason to doubt it. I will try the green PDI connector you reference under the dash, but as you say, since there is no CEL present I won't likely find any fault there. Thank you very much for the information and I will keep my eyes ears and mind open for possibilities.

no prob. man..its kind of hard to diag. things online when you cant hear/feel the car...

I know exactly what you mean, my family owns an equipment business and people are always calling in wanting us to fix their tractor, mower, chain saw, etc on the phone.

I Support ClubWRX
    Wastegate arm probably needs minor adjustment.Easy fix would be to remove your old wastegate actuator and put it on the new turbo.Next would be to manually adjust the wastegate.Why you would suspect the BPV when clearly the only change has been the turbo is odd.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Wastegate arm probably needs minor adjustment.Easy fix would be to remove your old wastegate actuator and put it on the new turbo.Next would be to manually adjust the wastegate.Why you would suspect the BPV when clearly the only change has been the turbo is odd.
    The car is new to me and I honestly don't know if the issue was present before or not. The wastgate hose was broken when I got the car but I didn't find it right away. The original turbo was in such poor shape that I don't know if it did this before.

Ive been trying to figure out how to adjust the wastegate arm for a while, can you explain how you did it plz?

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast