turbo coolant reservoir hoses?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on turbo coolant reservoir hoses? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I was looking at my engine bay today and noticed that there are supposed to be hoses running out ...

turbo coolant reservoir hoses?

So I was looking at my engine bay today and noticed that there are supposed to be hoses running out to somewhere from the turbo coolant reservoir, but on mine there are just two little cap hoses. My Question is where do these hoses run, why would they be capped, and is this a problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails engine_bay.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You can see from the photo that the hoses run forward to the overflow cap.

How many radiator caps does your car have? Is your car stock? What parts are not stock?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the reply. The photo is not of my car. the caps im talking about are little rubber nipples, I colored in where they are. My car has aftermarket exhaust including uppipe, cobb tuned, sparco intercooler hoses, thats it for engine performance. So when you say they run forward to the overflow cap, are you talking about the clear plastic reservoir up at the front of the engine. Again thanks for the help

Please take a picture of your own car!
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

Alright heres some pictures of my car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0276.jpg   IMG_0278.jpg  

Dude thats not right.... top one is the return from your radiator and the one below that is the overflow to the bottle in the front.

I notice the antifreeze/water drop in the picture did you take the cap off... where does that come from?
    Member #0135

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    How many radiator caps does your car have?
    How many radiator caps does the car have?

Is there a cap on your radiator?
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The antifreeze is from the little rubber caps they are dried out and cracking, causing antifreeze to leak. Do you have any idea why someone would do this, how the hell is the fluid suppose to return? Also are the hose preformed hoses that I need to order or are they just regular hose? Ive had the car for almost a month and I havent notice any problems, the fluid levels where never off.

oh yeah, I have one radiatior cap. I looked at my coolant overflow reservoir by the radiatior and it only has one place for a hose and its taken by the overflow hose below the radiatior cap.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry you've lost me.

Confirm: there is a radiator cap on your radiator IN ADDITION to the cap visible on the turbo coolant reservoir. Correct? This means there are two (2) caps in the engine bay, and the white plastic overflow reservoir near the radiator on the nose of the car is connected via a tube to the cap on the radiator itself.

If, and only if, everything I just wrote is the case, then what likely happened is that the original radiator failed and was replaced by a later model radiator. From the picture, your car is an early 2002. These came from the factory with NO cap on the radiator. The only cap was the one seen on the picture, on the turbo coolant reservoir.

Replacement radiators and all radiators fitted after 2003 had a cap, so later cars have two caps total - one on the rad itself, one on the turbo reservoir as in the picture. Whoever replaced your radiator with a later model had two choices:

1. Use a T fitting to connect the hose from the turbo reservoir to the hose from the new radiator's new cap (that had not been there before) and connect both of those to the white plastic overflow container in the nose, or
    2. Cap off the connections from the turbo reservoir and just use the new connection from the new rad cap for overflow.

The seem to have chosen the latter.

The cheapest thing for you to do is to either get new caps or make a circle connection between the two hose nipples shown.

Otherwise, go to a dealer, show them the car, and they'll sell you what you need (two fitted hoses plus a T fitting at this point, since you too will now need to T off the overflow lines to accomodate two lines -- one existing from the new rad, and one you're adding that used to be there but is not).

Wow you really know your stuff, Thanks for all your help. This adds to my suspicion that the car was in a front end collision and the previous owner didnt tell me

I Support ClubWRX
    The original radiator supplier, Calsonic, used lots of good will and hope to keep the radiator end tank seams from leaking, but probably not enough epoxy, so radiator failures were very common. My first radiator failed when the car was new, my second when the car was 6 years old. I've since switched to a Koyo-made OEM radiator. I can't confirm a collision caused the failure on yours, since the radiators were terrible anyway.

yeah but ive noticed missing peices, like the fender liner and fender supports, and there are some paint chips that look like there was bondo work done. and the hood is chipping really bad and has a white base coat. Would the white base/primer coat be from the factory?

YEP... they do use a white primer from factory... go figure!
    Member #0135

+1 on taking it to the dealer to get checked out!
    Member #0135

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.