My '09 has problems

This is a discussion on My '09 has problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My '09 lately I've Noticed after I start it up it is idling at around 1500-2000 RPM's. It eventually goes ...

My '09 has problems

My '09 lately I've Noticed after I start it up it is idling at around 1500-2000 RPM's. It eventually goes back down after a minute or two to where its supposed to be (500 rpm's). the only thing ive done to the car was install a CAI but it ran fine and idled ok after that now all of a sudden its doing this everytime i start it up. Anyone know whats the problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What brand of CAI did you install?

This is the car re-learning the fueling and ignition timing required for your driving style with the intake on.

The ecu is able to learn your driving style, sounds ridiculous but I had the exact same thing on my 09 and the dealer said it would dissapear with time as the ecu became acustomed to my mods. It is now fine (after 3 weeks) and is driving great.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

It's normal for 1500-1700 rpm at cold start. Mine idles at 1500rpm when cold at first. Catalytic converters don't work unless they are hot. The faster than normal cold idle heats the cats up to keep emissions to a minimum. Not the only reason they do that i'm sure. Oiling may be another reason. Does it still do it if you shut the hot motor down, and then start it right back up? It shouldn't.

Ask to start any subaru on the dealer lot and they will do the same thing. The PZEV models are worse. They sound like they are going to come apart for the first 30 sec or so.

P.S. if you don't like the high idle at cold start, just blip the throttle and it should kick down a little. I don't mind it. The oil pump is driven off the crank so I want that pump spinning at cold start.
    Last edited by 06WRXturbo; 07-18-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Its a AEM CAI I installed it like 5000 miles ago it just started idling all crazy here soon

Quote Originally Posted by 06WRXturbo View Post
    It's normal for 1500-1700 rpm at cold start. Mine idles at 1500rpm when cold at first. Catalytic converters don't work unless they are hot. The faster than normal cold idle heats the cats up to keep emissions to a minimum. Not the only reason they do that i'm sure. Oiling may be another reason. Does it still do it if you shut the hot motor down, and then start it right back up? It shouldn't.

Ask to start any subaru on the dealer lot and they will do the same thing. The PZEV models are worse. They sound like they are going to come apart for the first 30 sec or so.

P.S. if you don't like the high idle at cold start, just blip the throttle and it should kick down a little. I don't mind it. The oil pump is driven off the crank so I want that pump spinning at cold start.
    +1 ^..Couldnt have said it better...