newbie here, 02wrx question please help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on newbie here, 02wrx question please help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright guys, so I just bought a 2002 wrx on auction. (maybe a bad idea?) While driving the car, everything ...

newbie here, 02wrx question please help

Alright guys, so I just bought a 2002 wrx on auction. (maybe a bad idea?) While driving the car, everything seems normal until 4700 rpm where it just kinda cuts off. It just feels like the rev limiter, but way too early. To be honest, I know almost nothing about these cars but I have been working on cars for quite some time.

The car seems to be slightly modified; the usual intake, exhaust, turbo timer, etc. Boost guage at 4500 rpm shows about 17-18 psi. I'm sure there is a simple answer to this question. Could the car have been electronically programmed to do that? But why..?

Thanks for your input everyone

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does the car actually feel like its boosting 18 PSI...are you sure thats the stock turbo on there? Do you have any history on the car? with the mods on it the car should have def. been tuned if the previous owner did it the correct way... How many miles are on this WRX? So when you hit 4700 RPM with your foot on the gas what exactly happens..does it actually bounce like you mentioned off of a rev limiter....does the boost drop off to 0 at 4700 RPM? do you have any other gauges in the vehicle to monitor anything besides boost?

If possible, it would be great if you could take a video of the instrument panel as this happens, that way we can see whats happening and hear it.

I'll try to take pics and a video today. The car has about 100,000 miles and no I do not have a history of the car. I did buy it expecting issues because it needs some paintwork and stuff, but I've never run across anything like this. Really it feels like it is pulling strong and just getting up to full boost around 3000-3500 rpm and feels great right until 4700. Upon hitting 4700 the car feels like it hits a wall. Just like a rev limiter - bouncing the throttle back down and if I keep holding the gas it will keep doing it. The boost drops at that point, not to zero, just lower cause I usually let of the gas but it will return with throttle. I'm thinking that somewhere along the line the tuning the previous owner had done has gone haywire and I need to get it reprogrammed or something but I'm just getting into turbo cars so I'm kinda clueless. The turbo appears stock, nothing fancy looking..i'll take a pic today.

As for other gauges: just the boost gauge and an exhaust temp (I assume) that isn't working properly. The car might have another gauge cluster in it cause it has the STI logo and stuff. (or maybe they all do and I just don't know the first thing about these cars hehe)

I have been thinking maybe somebody had a cobb accessport or something like that and changed it to a valet setting..? Is that even possible? just a thought I've heard

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by 02_wrx; 07-18-2009 at 04:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.