Replacement of A/C receiver drier
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Replacement of A/C receiver drier within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have searched too no success on many forums and found no answer so I apologize if I missed a ...

Replacement of A/C receiver drier

I have searched too no success on many forums and found no answer so I apologize if I missed a thread somewhere that answered my question.

02 wrx 106k miles

A/C not working, hasn't for a few months now. I bought an expansion valve and a receiver drier to replace mine (have chased the problem around, replaced all o-rings-high side hose-and compressor worked for 2 days and stopped again) figured its worth a shot.

The shop I took them to claimed that the drier cannot be replaced...that you have to buy the whole condensor but I have seen threads elsewhere that reference replacing just the drier; yes it is more common to replace both but my condensor does not have a leak and I can't afford one right now.

Does anyone have directions or a tutorial on how you replace it?

Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

kjb
    I had a similar problem on my '02. A fast leak that couldn't be found by usual means. Finally the shop found a leak in the evaporator and said I needed a new expansion valve. (I wonder if the bad exp valve caused too much pressure to build up and blew out the evaporator?) Anyway you might want to check there for leaks too although its a pita to get to under the dash. I also had them replace the thermosensors for the TSB out there; not sure if the freezing could have also contributed to evaporator failure.

Anyway, they recommended replacing the receiver/drier also but when they went to source it found out that you have to replace the whole condenser. I opted out. I tried to search as well and had no luck finding anything. Sorry.

In the mean time, the a/c stopped working again after about a month. Fearing the worst, I took it back to the shop and they discovered an O-ring failure on ones they had replaced; they figured they must have had a bad lot and did it under warranty. However, since I got it back there has been more noise coming from under the glovebox when I step on the gas. It's like the normal engine noise isn't being blocked as well, or a fan is running louder or something. I haven't poked around too much yet but any ideas on how they might have caused this?

have you had any dye added to the system? that should pinpoint your leak.

I added dye a long time ago and found one big leak at the compressor itself - took it to a shop and they found many leaks-
    -high side/ low side hose o-rings (both sides of each)
    -high side hose joint condenser side
    -compressor housing

replaced-
    all o-rings
    high pressure hose
    compressor
    *as the shop had recommended

This is the time at which i was told the exp valve I had purchased was wrong part (found out later they were dead wrong) and couldnt be installed as well as the receiver drier not being replaceable (this turned out to be true)

Evac - recharge = cold air lasted for 2 days

So I am not going to pay 500 bucks for them to do the same thing they did last time + install the expansion valve. Just dont have the cash. So now since there is absolutely no pressure in the system Im just going to DIY the expansion valve (buying vacuum pump, pump oil, freon, pag 100 oil, etc. for half the price of taking it back to the shop) this way if i have any more problems (evaporator, thermosensor etc) i already have the tools I need to do the repairs myself and save $.

lyn
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb View Post
    I had a similar problem on my '02. A fast leak that couldn't be found by usual means. Finally the shop found a leak in the evaporator and said I needed a new expansion valve. (I wonder if the bad exp valve caused too much pressure to build up and blew out the evaporator?) Anyway you might want to check there for leaks too although its a pita to get to under the dash. I also had them replace the thermosensors for the TSB out there; not sure if the freezing could have also contributed to evaporator failure.

Anyway, they recommended replacing the receiver/drier also but when they went to source it found out that you have to replace the whole condenser. I opted out. I tried to search as well and had no luck finding anything. Sorry.

In the mean time, the a/c stopped working again after about a month. Fearing the worst, I took it back to the shop and they discovered an O-ring failure on ones they had replaced; they figured they must have had a bad lot and did it under warranty. However, since I got it back there has been more noise coming from under the glovebox when I step on the gas. It's like the normal engine noise isn't being blocked as well, or a fan is running louder or something. I haven't poked around too much yet but any ideas on how they might have caused this?
    Hello kjb, I am now experiencing the same problem with my ac receiver. My mechanic told me to replace the receiver, i guess that's the only thing to do.
    Last edited by lyn; 02-04-2011 at 10:06 PM.

I is possible to replace the A/C Receiver Drier on my 2003 wrx. Just take off the Radiator brackets and slide the condenser up at a 45 degree angle and undo the clamp and screw that holds the receiver drier onto the condenser then just put everything back together. I have attached some picturesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1 small.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	114964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 small.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	114965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 small.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	114966 below.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.