Turbo/Boost problems

This is a discussion on Turbo/Boost problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Was driving home the other day when i noticed my car was not pushing as much boost as normal. instead ...

Turbo/Boost problems

Was driving home the other day when i noticed my car was not pushing as much boost as normal. instead of 13psi i am getting 6psi. Is it a boost leak? Would the CEL come on if it was a boost leak? Or is my turbo going out? maybe the wastegate? Any advise? Thanks for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Im thinking you might have a boost leak..first and easiest thing to check...go around to all intake/inlet clamps and hoses and make sure there all snugged up and connected properly and in good condition...check this out..might be of some help... Just completed the DIY "find your leak" tool. - NASIOC ... What year/model vehicle is this? how many miles? any mods?

Its A 2004 wrx. 88k the only engine mods are a 3 inch turbo back exhaust with the stock intake.
    I took out the IC the other day and all the hoses looked good and all the clamps were tight..... There was some oil in the IC and the hoses But i've been told that normal ... that only leaves me with the IM... Thats if its a boost leak..??

If you have access to a video scope you can try cranking the car over with the video scope pointed down the air intake towards the compressor wheel of the turbo...maybe the turbo seized ( Ive seen this a few times and getting the symptoms your getting) or you have a wastegate problem...however the CEL should illuminate if that was the case (usually)...

So i havent been on for a while.... but the other day i decided to tighten up my wastegate arm. now i biuld boost faster and i make more than ever before.. in third i was pushing over .1 or about 15 psi... thats more than ever!!! is this bad for my car? any advice?

Oh and one more thing... my turbo (which is stock) spools around 2500rpm when before it was spooling up around 3500rpm