Help Needed I need new spark plug boots, where can I get them

This is a discussion on Help Needed I need new spark plug boots, where can I get them within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm in the process of changing my spark plugs on my 2002 WRX and on inspection of the boot on ...

Unhappy Help Needed I need new spark plug boots, where can I get them

I'm in the process of changing my spark plugs on my 2002 WRX and on inspection of the boot on the Ignition Coil I believe I need to replace them. I believe these are the original plugs and Ignition Coil and have 98,000 miles on them. I bought the car used last year and have only driven it about 6000 miles.

I have not been able to find a parts store that carries the boot by itself.

Can the boot be purchaced by itself. If so, can anyone provide me with the name of a parts dealer that carries these.

I went to the local Subaru dealer (only in town for 3 months) and parts department is in the Masda dealership and the guy had a hard time understanding what I was talking about.

I'm going out and try more of the local parts stores.

Thanks for your helf.

Harry

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Man..I highly doubt you can purchase the boot by itself..I believe its part of the coil...If you do find a place that does sell the boot by itself let me know...Is the car misfiring or something?

Yes, the car miss fires at around 30-40 mph under load.

I also am finding out that you have to buy the whole coil, and that is going to be $450 for 4 with sales tax at a after market parts store or $500 at the Subaru dealer.

Bummer.

I'm going to go ahead and use the current boots with a hope that the new plugs solve the problem.

If not, then at least I learned how to change the plugs, thanks to the good post and pictures on this forum.

Thanks for the reply.

Harry

which cylinder is misfiring? you could try swapping coils while you have them out and see if the misfire follows the coil....than you can kind of rule out two things...

Just finished putting it all back together.

Used the old boots and coils and checked all the codes after firing it up. No codes, all is okay. We will wait to see as from Darkn3ss thread on misfires, it is common with a 2002.

Thanks for the suggestions and help

Harry