clear coating on the paint is peeling and flaking off

This is a discussion on clear coating on the paint is peeling and flaking off within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all My 1999 Blue Mica WRX has a spot on the bonnet where the clear coating on the paint ...

clear coating on the paint is peeling and flaking off

Hi all

My 1999 Blue Mica WRX

has a spot on the bonnet where the clear coating on the paint is peeling and flaking off .. the paint is still in tacked ..

the paint under were it's peeling looks normal just a little duller hasn't got the shine were the paint is with the clear coating ..

dose anyone know if this is fixable ? and how do i go about getting it fixed?

thanks in advanced

Justin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

MacGuires Polishing Compound and a slow orbital buffer. Add a hard wax of your choice to the mix while you compound. This will seal the paint from contaminants, while it removes the crackling chips of clearcoat. Try to park in shaded areas for a couple of days while the wax hardens.

At the very least, you can cure the areas that are already affected, hopefully you have the time to do the whole car. It will thank you for it.

Some have had luck with "claybar", but it seems that is a last ditch attempt to repair paint so oxidized that the cars in question should be repainted.

You have no damage anywhere on the body, nothing which could be claimed to insurance for a paint restoration?

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    MacGuires Polishing Compound and a slow orbital buffer. Add a hard wax of your choice to the mix while you compound. This will seal the paint from contaminants, while it removes the crackling chips of clearcoat. Try to park in shaded areas for a couple of days while the wax hardens.

At the very least, you can cure the areas that are already affected, hopefully you have the time to do the whole car. It will thank you for it.

Some have had luck with "claybar", but it seems that is a last ditch attempt to repair paint so oxidized that the cars in question should be repainted.

You have no damage anywhere on the body, nothing which could be claimed to insurance for a paint restoration?
    thanks for yor reply .. is the polishing and wax treatment a long term fix or am i better off getting the bonnet looked at by a paint shop ? ..

and sorry no body damage so no insurance bugger

thanks

Justin

Depending upon how sensitive you are to the imperfections, it might not help at all. It is typical that most waxes last about 3 weeks with average precipitation. If you live in a rainy climate, it will be less.

It is always wise to keep your paint sealed this way, or with a competitive product. It will preserve the paint AND metal for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    Depending upon how sensitive you are to the imperfections, It is always wise to keep your paint sealed this way, or with a competitive product. It will preserve the paint AND metal for many years.
    hey there

thanks for that info .. i only just brought the car second hand .. so i knew it was there when i brought it .. and i wanna fix it and i was thinking i'd then get a paint protection treatment applied to it .

but yes i agree that we all need to look after our paint

thanks
    Justin