Need some Help w/Turbo Hose
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need some Help w/Turbo Hose within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bought my car about 2 months ago. First noticed 1 month ago the pipe/hose leading from the rear portion of ...

Registered User AllShallPerishJ's Avatar

Need some Help w/Turbo Hose

Bought my car about 2 months ago. First noticed 1 month ago the pipe/hose leading from the rear portion of the inter cooler to the turbo (forgive me, still learning the parts...inlet hose? please correct me), wasn't fitting properly and there was a small buildup of black residue around the area. I was told by a few people not to worry about it and that it wasn't a big concern, that it's caused by the heat making the hose expand/contract etc. My logic is telling me that it should be a concern. I undid the screw clamp and the pipe didn't budge any farther up the turbo, there just wasn't enough slack. The clamp is on there as tight as it will go, so it's not loose from what I can see. Tried to unfasten the screw clamp on the other end that connects to intercooler but couldn't get my hand up in there with enough torque. I started to notice recently more lag esp around 3-4k. Not to mention the black residue. Could be paranoia and the fact that I need to change my oil. I guess what my main questions are...
    1.) What exactly is the technical term for this pipe/hose?
    2.) I think it's obvious that it needs to be fixed, is this a dealer part or a part I would be better off buying after market?
    3.) What kind of damage can be caused by this problem? (just so I know)
    4.) Is the residue oil from the turbo? And what is causing it?
    5.) Just a side question, what fluid is the dipstick located under the rear of the intercooler for? (car didn't come with a manual...err)

Checked for Haynes and Chilton on the 05 WRX and they don't seem to make them. I know there is one other manual...Bennet I believe? But internet searches don't show anything for it.

Live.Free.Or.Die
    Blobeye Syndicate #55

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you can wrangle yourself a heat gun/hair drier you can heat up the silicone coupler and it should be much easier to try and slide on ( when doing this remove the intercooler and try and get this coupler on first)..That is part of the y-pipe..the inlet pipe is the one that goes into the intake of the turbo / front of compressor housing...Its kind of common that techs/whoever is working on the car get the couple bent over a little and just ram it on and dont realize it.....as long as you dont see any tears/rips in the silicone than I think you should be ok...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AllShallPerishJ View Post
    1.) What exactly is the technical term for this pipe/hose? If you're referring to the pipe that comes OUT of the turbo and into the intercooler.. then it's the "Intercooler Y-Pipe" - Here is an aftermarket example... many companies make them RallySportDirect.com - TurboXS 02-05 WRX Intercooler Y-Pipe

2.) I think it's obvious that it needs to be fixed, is this a dealer part or a part I would be better off buying after market? Honestly? I think it depends on you.. what you're goals are with the car.. if you think you'll end up getting a new intercooler (FMIC or TMIC) then you may end up replacing the part with that

3.) What kind of damage can be caused by this problem? (just so I know) If there is a leak after the MAF.. then you are running rich because air is being lost that was accounted for by the MAF

4.) Is the residue oil from the turbo? And what is causing it? It can be caused by a multitude of problems. Turbos (especially thrust bearing turbos like ours are stock) have a tendency to have "Blow By" which means the pressure pushes a bit of oil out of the turbo cartridge and into the intake tract... not a big deal at all (this is about as simple as I can make it sound... it's a bit more complex than that) Also... you may have oil coming into the turbo inlet hose from your PCV valve, etc. If it's a lot of oil in your intake tract.. it's a big deal. Just a little bit.. then no biggie.

5.) Just a side question, what fluid is the dipstick located under the rear of the intercooler for? (car didn't come with a manual...err) ATF - Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Checked for Haynes and Chilton on the 05 WRX and they don't seem to make them. I know there is one other manual...Bennet I believe? But internet searches don't show anything for it.

Unfortunately they don't have any.. but it's possible to find the whole entire subaru technical manual for your car with a bit of searching. I downloaded the whole Tech Manual for my 06 WRX off the net.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Thanks man. I do have future goals with the car, I'll finagle with the pipe and see if I can get it to squeeze on tighter. If not I'll just buy aftermarket. Glad to hear it's most likely not a catastrophic problem. Always assume the worst. Next purchase is an accessport so I can build from there. Don't really know anyone around here that has one that I could use. Funny how I have a dipstick for ATF when I have 5-speed? huh. And for the sake of not creating another thread, the black rear fender moldings (one of mine is just falling off), can I take those off without causing rust issues? The front fenders/wheel wells don't have them?
    Live.Free.Or.Die
    Blobeye Syndicate #55

Thanks man. I do have future goals with the car, I'll finagle with the pipe and see if I can get it to squeeze on tighter. If not I'll just buy aftermarket. Glad to hear it's most likely not a catastrophic problem. Always assume the worst. Next purchase is an accessport so I can build from there. Don't really know anyone around here that has one that I could use. Funny how I have a dipstick for ATF when I have 5-speed? huh. And for the sake of not creating another thread, the black rear fender moldings (one of mine is just falling off), can I take those off without causing rust issues? The front fenders/wheel wells don't have them?
    If you have a 5 speed manual trans the dipstick under the intercooler on the passangers side should be the gear oil level for the trans/front diff (there one unit).

I Support ClubWRX
    car didn't come with a manual

I thought you meant that you had the Automatic.

It's the same exact dipstick.. you dipstick

Like EvoEatr said... it's for your transmission. (Front and center differential are in the same case as the transmission, and use the same fluid... Just like EvoEatr said)
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

Like EvoEatr said... it's for your transmission. (Front and center differential are in the same case as the transmission, and use the same fluid... Just like EvoEatr said)
    Uhhhh....damn. I've a had few to many pints of Guinness today, brains a little scrambled. haha, gotta learn somehow.
    Live.Free.Or.Die
    Blobeye Syndicate #55

I Support ClubWRX
    Uhhhh....damn. I've a had few to many pints of Guinness today, brains a little scrambled. haha, gotta learn somehow.
    Guinness? You are a disgusting excuse for a human being...
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Thanks buddy!..

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Thanks buddy!..
    I've been waiting for weeks to call someone a dipstick jk jk.

You've been on a lot today bro... Off from work?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Guinness? You are a disgusting excuse for a human being...
    HA! Negative sir, just frequent the Irish pubs; and honoring the family heritage. Guinness, Harp, Smithwicks (that's Smit-icks)...as it is a red ale, seeing your avatar I think you should give it a try. And you more than likely haven't had a properly poured pint of Guinness then (double pour, nitrogen gas, short keg line, five-hole disc restrictor plate in the end of the tap, tulip shaped pint glass served at 42.8F. Most places serve it absolutely wrong and it tastes rotten. And don't tell me you've had it out of the can or bottle. Are you a micro-brew type?
    Live.Free.Or.Die
    Blobeye Syndicate #55

I Support ClubWRX
    That's actually an american strong ale in my avatar. Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale.

Occasionally I like a red ale, but the ones I like are few and far between.

Right now I'd put my top 5 as (in no particular order and every single one on tap): Arrogant Bastard Ale/Oaked ABA (Stone), Mojo IPA (Boulder Beer), Levitation Ale (Stone), 60 minute IPA (Dogfish Head), and 90 Shilling (Odell)

So yes.. I am a bit of a craft brewed geek
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    I just don't do beer that tastes like coffee... That's probably why I'll never like guinny.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

That's actually an american strong ale in my avatar. Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale.

Occasionally I like a red ale, but the ones I like are few and far between.

Right now I'd put my top 5 as (in no particular order and every single one on tap): Arrogant Bastard Ale/Oaked ABA (Stone), Mojo IPA (Boulder Beer), Levitation Ale (Stone), 60 minute IPA (Dogfish Head), and 90 Shilling (Odell)

So yes.. I am a bit of a craft brewed geek
    Have you tried Pirrat Triple IPA? 10.5%...a couple of these and you're on your way to a good night.
    Live.Free.Or.Die
    Blobeye Syndicate #55

I Support ClubWRX
    Have you tried Pirrat Triple IPA? 10.5%...a couple of these and you're on your way to a good night.
    No... I haven't even heard of it.

I'll tell you though... 3 22oz mugs of Mojo, and I was definitely feeling good!
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast