Knocking Noise and feel under clutch foot.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Knocking Noise and feel under clutch foot. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2008 WRX. Only has 10k on it. I have noticed that immediately when releasing the clutch off ...

Red face Knocking Noise and feel under clutch foot.

I have a 2008 WRX. Only has 10k on it. I have noticed that immediately when releasing the clutch off the ground, and the clutch engages, there is a single knock noise and you can feel it happen underneath my clutch foot. Subaru has taken the front joints apart, greased them, changed the torque settings and nothing has worked. They cant seem to hear what I am hearing tho. Does this sound familar to anyone else. Hopefully I'm explaining it well enough. The car does seem to have any negative effects from the cause of the knock, but it may contribute to some down the line. Please respond if you have ever incurred this problem. I have had the car in 3 times in the past month and they cant fix it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Throw-out bearing maybe?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Happens to me sometimes (25k miles) when I've rolled backward before starting. I've found that a little more throttle before releasing the clutch helps. I just chalked it up to driveline lash. I don't know if all Subies are this way but mine has a fairly noisy, lashy (new word?) drivetrain.

I was going to say demand a new car (08 with 10k)..but If they cant hear/feel what you can..than I guess that is out the window.. Which brings me to another question if they cant hear or feel anything that your describing why are they ripping apart your axle joints?....are you sure its not just the pedal itself like releasing?..These new Subaru clutch hydraulic systems feel MUCH different than the older ones...at least to me they do...Have you ever driven any other Subarus with the hill-holder system?..I know we get alot of complaints about "clutch feeling weird" etc etc.... when we learn to find out its a completely normal feeling because of the hill holder...I would suggest you drive another 08 WRX and see if you hear/feel it fore if your "Noobtosube" this might be a normal "Subaru" noise... (keep in mind its difficult to diag. noises and such online..)

On my 08 WRX, I had clutch problems off the bat, took it in for service and complained about my clutch being super stiff and making noises twice, then finally the clutch went out completely. Took some serious arm twisting, sniveling and contacting SOA but my crappy(Sierra Subaru) dealer finally fixed it. Now the clutch feels perfect, but after some inquiries I found out that their were a lot of new 08 WRX owners who were having the same problem. From what it seems there is a manufacturer flaw in the first run of the new 08's not just with the clutch but overall drive train issues in general. About 6 months after this, my car started making a loud, vibrating, slamming noise when I would shift into reverse on a hill, when I would release the clutch and accelerate it was as if my car was going to explode, I could feel vibration coming up right through the clutch pedal, I also told my crappy (Sierra Subaru) dealer about this, they told me that they couldn't hear or feel this, finally while reversing my car (I live on a slight slop of a hill and have to reverse to park in front of my house), my transmission seized up in the middle of the street in front of my house. The car was stuck in reverse, the shifter would not move and the wheels were locked up, had the car towed to my crappy local dealer (Sierra Subaru Monrovia, CA) and after a week of my car sitting and countless emails to SOA in particular Rick Pozniak they said they fixed my car. Two weeks later the same thing and happened and after going through the same song and dance with Subaru of America and my crappy dealer ( a two week battle of emails and threats) they finally fixed the car and I mean fixed it, it seems there was nothing wrong with the clutch this time, the problem was in the transmission, they wouldn't tell me what exactly the problem was but I was told that I would never have this problem again, that the transmission was taken completely apart and several parts were replaced. My point here is that my local Subaru dealer and SOA suck balls, but mostly is that there is a good chance that the problem lies in your transmission and what you are feeling and hearing is vibration, vibrating down the drive train to your foot and ears from your transmission. To cover your ass make sure that this is documented every time you contact your dealer, Subaru does not like to cover any mechanical issues under warranty especially if your car has been modified in ANY way, and repairs are pricey if you have to pay out of pocket. They will make up any excuse not to repair your car, the best thing for you to do is sit tight wait for your car to take a **** and then have Subaru repair it. Good luck!
    Last edited by subikat; 08-06-2009 at 07:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.