Weird

This is a discussion on Weird within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i was driving my car today and at 5k it stopped revving and misfired big time. So i drove a ...

Weird

i was driving my car today and at 5k it stopped revving and misfired big time. So i drove a little more and it went away. Then i went out again and it threw a CEL so i got out the trusty old scanner and it was cylinder misfire in cylinders 1 and 3. Si i noticed my spark plugs havnt been changed in awhile (carfax from previous owners) so i got new spark plugs and put them in. Which i thought was gonna be very hard knowing its a flat four and people say its hard but it wasnt. I put them in and when i turned my car on the CEL wasnt there. i didnt even start it yet. I dont know whats going on with my car but its acting very weird lately
    2004 WRX (currently driving)
    2000 Audi S4 APR tuned (sold)
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )
    1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Was the CEL flashing?You might have had a knock experience.Try cleaning the MAF sensor as well.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Whats the main cause of knocking? Is it from bad gas? You said he should clean the MAF...would taking it apart and using compressed air be a good way to clean it?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

everythings back to normal now. It has a new MAF sensor on it. and the stealership decided to "fasten it correctly" for 48 dollars without even letting me know.
    2004 WRX (currently driving)
    2000 Audi S4 APR tuned (sold)
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )
    1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Whats the main cause of knocking? Is it from bad gas? You said he should clean the MAF...would taking it apart and using compressed air be a good way to clean it?
    Main cause of knock is a lean condition or to much timing.You cannot take the MAF apart and no you cannot use compressed air.CRC makes a MAF specific cleaner which costs around $7 compared to buying a new MAF which runs around $150-200.Always try cleaning the sensor first before buying a new one.A quick search will bring up the proper way to clean a MAF sensor..............
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

this is as OT as it gets, but Donkey: I love your avatar! that is one mean looking subie!

sorry I can't contribute anything usefull to the thread. good to hear everything is working again