She just ain't doing that well...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on She just ain't doing that well... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 2002 WRX wagon has been living a pretty harsh life as she is driven on a pretty long commute ...

She just ain't doing that well...

My 2002 WRX wagon has been living a pretty harsh life as she is driven on a pretty long commute and travels a lot. She has about 135K miles. That being said, she is making a symphony of different annoying noises right now and it's driving me crazy.

One issue is a known and that's that the knuckleheads at the dealer say that when my brakes were replaced the driver side side front was put together backwards with the squeeker in the wrong spot. They say it's no big deal and didn't correct it despite my request that they do. Apparently the tech was deaf and didn't hear what I hear everytime I break. I hear a loud, unhealthy sounding grinding squeak that sounds like and old couple trying to have sex on a noisey box spring.

But there is more, now there are multiple rythmic sounds coming from the suspension and/or transaxle. Some times it comes when driving along steady on the interstate, sometimes driving around town. I just know something is worn out but don't trust my dealership enough to figure it out. So I guess my question is, what are some typical suspension/drivetrain system thinks that typically should be/need to be replaced by 135k?

My other caveat is that the struts & springs are still the originals. (I know, I know )

Could it be the wheel bearings? Ball Joints?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

With that many miles on it I would most certainly replace the struts...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

and the bushings. They're probably shot.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Could definately be a wheel bearing or two.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Get the transmission and rear differential fluid changed.Get your wheels rebalanced.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Im thinking maybe a wheel bearing/hub going... from the info you've provided...I personally wouldnt be to concerned about the struts fore I had my originals on my 96 Legacy with over 200k miles and when i pulled them off they werent even completely worn out...its a little rare to see a strut go on a Subaru even with that mileage (unless its an STI of course...lol)...completely unrelated to your noise...but if your planning on keeping the car I would do a full tune up i.e. plugs,PCV, air filter, fuel filter, change trans, rear diff fluid, coolant, oil etc etc.... I would also do just a general check over of the entire vehicle....

Just in case someone else reads this thread, I have had a lot of similar issues. I have an 02 sedan with 150K, all original suspension parts.

Wheel bearings going out is unmistakable if they get bad. Right before I had BOTH rear ones replaces, it was VUM VUM VUM VUM VUM VUM and if you were on the highway, it sounded like you were driving a dump truck.

I had something on the driver side rattling to all hell, didn't know what it was. Specifically when going in reverse and the car shudders a bit or over a speedbump it would clickclack. That was the stabilizing bar which connects at the lower end of the rear wheel on one end and in front of the rear wheel under the back door on the other end. The arm is about 18 inches long maybe. Just pounding on it with my fist made the rattle. Simple fix was to tighten the bolt at the wheel-end connection. No clue how it came loose.

My front right wheel creaks like a haunted house door right before coming to a complete stop. Had the wheel off twice, no visible issues. Have no clue what this one is.

Rear suspension makes a symphony of noises when hitting bumps, all are hard to replicate. It may be naive, but I suggest just getting under there and checking to see if things are tight.
    Congressional Lobbyist for the Bugeye Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post

My front right wheel creaks like a haunted house door right before coming to a complete stop. Had the wheel off twice, no visible issues. Have no clue what this one is.

This could be a hub on its way out...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.