Hesitation Problems..Please Read - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Hesitation Problems..Please Read within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Kelley725 My mechanic told me there are 2 cat's on my 02 WRX.He suggested taking out the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelley725 View Post
    My mechanic told me there are 2 cat's on my 02 WRX.He suggested taking out the cat at the turbo to prevent just that from happening. I have been having trouble with hesitation and jerking too. He also suggested switching the cold air intake back to stock. Any truth to all that helping? I'm a newbie and have had trouble posting my own thread on these issues.
    Your mechanic is wrong.

There are 3 catalytic converters on the 02 WRX.

One on the UP PIPE and 2 on the DOWN PIPE. The one on the UP PIPE can shatter under large volumes of exhaust, and this causes little metal particles to travel through the turbine wheel. Sometimes it's not an issue, but most times it's a big deal and the turbo suffers. You should take off the turbo and examine it. If it moves freely, there are no scars from metal, there isn't shaft play, there is no oil leakage, and no metal scraps in the turbo, then you can rule that out. But more than likely the turbo is done.

My suggestion at this point? See if Blouche can rebuild it with a 19T compressor wheel, and get a turbo back exhaust and a tune.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Update: Turbo/uppipe is out. Some tiny chips on the turbo fins, but nothing substantial. A very very tiny lateral shaft movement, again, nothing unordinary for a 70k mile turbo. The cat in the uppipe was intact, none missing.

Now here's the unordinary part. When i was taking the bolts off the hotside/downpipe connection, I noticed that there were no nuts on the lower three studs.... I was like wtf... Either they worked themselves out, or they were never put on (my buddy put my turboback on when I was at work). This brings up the following question: Could the fact that only two bolts and one stud were holding the downpipe onton the hotside lead to the hesitating. I mean, it kinda makes sense since I would have quite the leak as boost increases. Nonetheless, I gutted the cat real well and will be putting everything back on tomorrow. I thought about putting the VF34 on, but I don't have the rest of the supporting mods yet.

Thoughts?
    -2004 San Remo Red WRX Sedan-
    Blobeye Syndicate #24

"Pain of Discipline or Pain of Regret..take your pick." ~ Notre Dame

Update:
    Put it all back together, still hesitating... FAWK. Next culprit: injectors...
    Blobeye Syndicate #24

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny V View Post
    Update: Turbo/uppipe is out. Some tiny chips on the turbo fins, but nothing substantial. A very very tiny lateral shaft movement, again, nothing unordinary for a 70k mile turbo. The cat in the uppipe was intact, none missing.

Now here's the unordinary part. When i was taking the bolts off the hotside/downpipe connection, I noticed that there were no nuts on the lower three studs.... I was like wtf... Either they worked themselves out, or they were never put on (my buddy put my turboback on when I was at work). This brings up the following question: Could the fact that only two bolts and one stud were holding the downpipe onton the hotside lead to the hesitating. I mean, it kinda makes sense since I would have quite the leak as boost increases. Nonetheless, I gutted the cat real well and will be putting everything back on tomorrow. I thought about putting the VF34 on, but I don't have the rest of the supporting mods yet.

Thoughts?
    If there was an exhaust leak.. then possibly.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Next up..pressure test. I know I shouldve done it first. Im an ass. Lets hope I find a leak somewhere I didnt see.
    Blobeye Syndicate #24

UPDATE: I did a pressure test and found a massive gash right where my turbo inlet hose meets the turbo. Air was gushing out of there. I will be installing a new turbo inlet and doing another pressure test.
    Blobeye Syndicate #24

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny V View Post
    UPDATE: I did a pressure test and found a massive gash right where my turbo inlet hose meets the turbo. Air was gushing out of there. I will be installing a new turbo inlet and doing another pressure test.
    Bummer.. easy fix though
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I took apart my manifold and did a "patch job" on the inlet. Its a temp fix while my new inlet gets here.. The car is almost hesitation free. Still does it a tiny bit, but nothing compared to before since i can pull free and row through the gears now. I hope that with the new inlet, the hesitation will drop to zero.
    Blobeye Syndicate #24

1x2
    Subscribed- I'm hoping it's just the air hose. I love happy endings.

UPDATE: Received my new inlet and installed it. Hesitation is gone!! The car pulls smooth and clear no matter which gear or what RPMs Im at. It's a beautiful thing!

So a small cut in the stock inlet pipe is capable of wreaking havoc.... now you know
    Blobeye Syndicate #24

1x2
    OK, I'm happy- glad it worked out

I Support ClubWRX
    I was close...just the wrong end. Glad it worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Well, you've determined it is not a fuel problem, not a spark problem, so it has to be an air flow problem. In this case, sounds like exhaust flow, so yeah...lookin like the cat.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.