Remote hits steering column

This is a discussion on Remote hits steering column within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sorry if this has been covered before because I am sure it has. I have taken my remote off of ...

Remote hits steering column

Sorry if this has been covered before because I am sure it has. I have taken my remote off of my key on my 03 wagon because I am sick and tired of hearing it smack the steering column! Every time I pull in or out of my driveway or shift hard the thing hits, sometimes a few smacks before it stops. I did a search and didn't find anything really. Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated I am hoping this is a known issue and has a good solution. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think youve found the solution...just remove from your key ring or just dont "get on it"......I suppose if you dont like the noise you could glue some foam or something to the steering column cover..lol...

Dont know if this will help you or not but I noticed on my other car that my keys were scratching the steering column from being on the same keychain as the ignition key. So I took a softer keychain....one that i got out of Street Tuner actually...and hooked that up to my ignition key. And then just carried my other keys...including a spare key around in my pocket.

when i got my subi i carried the same idea over...so i have my key on a keychain with a cloth "tab" or whatever you wanna call it...then the keyless remote in my pocket with my other keys
    Id rather drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast - Micah

Quote Originally Posted by bellhammer View Post
    Dont know if this will help you or not but I noticed on my other car that my keys were scratching the steering column from being on the same keychain as the ignition key. So I took a softer keychain....one that i got out of Street Tuner actually...and hooked that up to my ignition key. And then just carried my other keys...including a spare key around in my pocket.

when i got my subi i carried the same idea over...so i have my key on a keychain with a cloth "tab" or whatever you wanna call it...then the keyless remote in my pocket with my other keys
    I am doing something similar to that now. I wish the aftermarket had a molded rubber for the side of the steering column or something like that. I have seen those as standard equipment in other makes and models. I now know for certain why most new cars have keys with the remote as part of the key. I have owned many cars over the years with a key chain style remote and don't remember any of them being this bad, the thing smacks the column in normal every day driving.

I know what you mean. My friends car's dashboard is actually molded to hold a small piece of rubber in just the right place so that that doesnt happen to him...its a little frustrating to not see it on my car.

But then again its not too bad this way i guess. If you really wanted you could hit a hardware store or something like that and pick out the exact size/shape/color you wanted and install that
    Id rather drive a fast car slow than a slow car fast - Micah

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, this has been driving me nuts for years. I already have two key rings going for work and home and I want my key and fob to be together.

The rubber thing is only going to go so far because it hits both the dash and the column, plus you will still hear any extra keys clanking. A little mesh bag right there or a pouch of some sort that you could tuck them in would maybe work.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb