steering wheel wont unlock

This is a discussion on steering wheel wont unlock within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone Well first off i have a 2003 wrx and this morning my pops went out to drive it ...

steering wheel wont unlock

Hey everyone

Well first off i have a 2003 wrx and this morning my pops went out to drive it and the key wouldnt turn. So he jiggled the steering wheel a little to try and get the key to turn and the steering wheel locked up and now it wont unlock. I've been sitting out there for about 20 min now just slightly turn the wheel and turning with a little more force and nothing is happening. I dont know if this is a security feature that wrx's came with since the car has a little security light that is blinking and beeps when i lock and shut the door.

Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    You're gonna have to start the car to unlock it.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    well bad topic title on my part i should have said that the key wont turn and the steering wheels locked. I got home from work and my dad had got the key to turn finally so we think something is up with my ignition because its really rough when you try and turn the key.

Me too

I have an 03 WRX also and I've had a few times where I've gotten in to start the car and the key won't turn. One time it took a massive amount of jiggling to get the key to turn and finally start the car. I've had a few minor incidents since then but I keep thinking it's inevitable that something is going to make this happen more often. Did you ever find out what the problem was?
    Dave

There's nothing wrong with your ignition. A quirk of the locking steering wheel. Try turning and holding the wheel hard left or hard right (one way should work) while turning the key. It should unlock and allow you to turn the key. Very common problem. More common when parking on a hill but can happen at random.

Wiggling the steering wheel without a key in the ignition most likely caused the steering wheel to lock up. I try not to use the steering wheel for support in getting in/out of the car to minimize this issue. If it locks on you randomly, try turning the wheel harder in the direction your tires are pointing and it should free up the ignition.
    Last edited by 06WRXturbo; 08-11-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks

Super cool. Thank you for taking the time to address this.
    Dave

This happened to me the first time on Monday, I was able to wiggle my steering wheel to make the key turn.

However, last night after work my wheels were straight and I tried for 45 minutes to get my steering wheel to unlock. Everything I do has not worked, every time I wiggle the steering wheel its makes a clicking noise and it looks like the ignition clicks up and clicks down depending on which way I pull the steering wheel.

Are there any tricks to unlock my steering wheel for a 2003 WRX ?

Good job dragging up a thread from the dead...

If you just keep fiddling with it, you should be able to get it to unlock. It's a simple mechanical mechanism and sometimes it'll be a little funny in an older car. It doesn't matter if your wheels are straight or turned. It only matters where the pressure on that mechanical mechanism is.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Wow I'm surprised to see bad advice from you on something so simple. Starting the car has nothing to do with the lock mechanism...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading