Waste gate / Air Bypass Valve Confusion

This is a discussion on Waste gate / Air Bypass Valve Confusion within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone. I know this may be a stupid question to some but I just my first Suby so plz ...

Waste gate / Air Bypass Valve Confusion

Hey everyone. I know this may be a stupid question to some but I just my first Suby so plz bear with me :P

On my 2002 WRX I thought the wastegate was the part just above the Turbo where you see a rod go into it. However when I was shopping around for a BOV I noticed the BOV's attach right in front of the intercooler, but I always thought the BOV replaces the wastegate. Can anyone clear this up for me please?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no need to shop for either. Keep what your car already has, provided the car, the valve, and the gate are stock.

The locations you named are correct respectively. The wastegate relieves pressure at the turbo and is used to regulate boost levels by the computer. The blow off valve is actually a bypass valve and is used mainly to expel air off throttle.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    A wastegate and bypass/blow-off valves are not the same thing.

A wastegate regulates boost levels by controlling the speed at which the turbine wheel spins by diverting exhaust gases away from the turbine wheel. Otherwise you would have no way of controlling maximum boost.

A bypass valve vents excess pressure from in the intake tract when the throttle is lifted.

welcome to the club
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Perfect! Thanks a ton guys, im glad I got this cleared up. My WRX is only running at 9 PSI, so i have a huge boost leak somwhere and I think it may be from the wastegate or the bypass valve. I just wanted to know more about them before I tried to figure out the leak.

Wow, thx a ton. Since that was so helpful I have one more issue I thought id bring up. Im trying to hook up a boost gauge that the guy before installed, but didnt finish. There is a hose coming through the firewall thats connected to the gauge. I shot some air at it with my air compressor and the gauge jumped so thats all good. Where's the best place to hook up this hose? I connected it with a T to my wastegate but the gauge didnt move when I revved it. Any suggestions?

And the gauge lights up when i start the car, so its getting power

Ive seen alot of people t in boost gauges from the vacuum line to the BPV....

Big PSI Leak

Ok so ive now T'd off of the BOV, it shows around 20 PSI Vacuum at idol and normal driving. However when I floor it it doesnt pass 6 PSI at 7,000. I know I have a huge PSI leak somewhere and I cant find out where. Does anyone know of any common reasons for such a big pressure loss on an 02 WRX Sdn? I've been trying to solvethis leak since I bought it

sounds like you accidentally removed the restricter pill from the waste gate hose. you working off the waste gate spring only.
    02 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #37

Is there any way to check?

there should be a little brass restrictor pill located in the line vacuum line coming off of the compressor housing....take a look here... http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/ima...mWorksv109.pdf