AC/DC converter???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on AC/DC converter??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello All...I have an AC/DC converter installed in my 02' WRX (so that when I do logs I can plug ...

AC/DC converter???

Hello All...I have an AC/DC converter installed in my 02' WRX (so that when I do logs I can plug my laptop in and have a constant power supply)..I ran into a little "issue" today that maybe someone could shed some light on...There is a 12v power supply plug (like your cig. lighter except this is made for power supply)that i plug the converter in when I want to use it and than I have two wall outlets installed for the power cord for the laptop...well heres the problem...It has been working for the longest time and today I get in my car and do the log everythings fine...get back, shut my car off, and than start her back up and suddenly i dont have any power to the laptop...so I go searching around and find out the fuse is blown..I unplugged the converter and installed another fuse and than plugged in the converter again and immediately the fuse blew...the funny thing about this is..I can plug a cell phone charger or i pod charger or anything else in that socket and the fuse doesnt blow but as soon as i plug in the converter the fuse blows...short to ground maybe? It just doesnt seem to make sense to me.....is there anything anyone would recommend I check out? I figure if the fuse has been fine for thousands of miles and tons of hours of usage it shouldnt really be a wiring problem...but anyways maybe one of you electrical savy guys could give me some direction...Thanks for any input..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you sure you are not exceeding the wattage the inverter is able to supply?
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Thats a good point..I just checked on the laptop cable and it said 65W. so I looked on the converter and it said 150W..Its just kind of a frustrating problem...to have it work like that and than just cut out...I will mention the way the converter is wired into the fuse is kind of odd..the (im assuming) switched power wire for the socket is rammed into the STOP light area where the fuse inserts by the drivers side knee bolster...I know this isnt the proper way to wire that fore I did not wire it, but if that was truely the problem this would have happend months ago or whenever it was wired right? Plus it worked for like months/years...

bump....

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a half arsed install.Try a continuity test on the AC side between the line and ground. Does the inverter blow the fuse only when you plug something in or just when it is energized? It just might be time for a new inverter. Got pics of what your using? Sounds like someones science project.
    Last edited by Donkey; 06-19-2009 at 05:54 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

This was Rogans car so im not to sure if he did the install or not,if he did im kind of surprised he didnt at least use fuse taps instead of just ramming the wire into the fuse socket... i did send him an email about it...the inverter blows the fuse as soon as i plug the inverter itself into the 12v socket...you said try a continuity test between ground and the "line" the switched power line i was referring to?...Thanks for your help by the way... Like I said I just find it odd that this thing worked for like years and now..nothing...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    This was Rogans car so im not to sure if he did the install or not,if he did im kind of surprised he didnt at least use fuse taps instead of just ramming the wire into the fuse socket... i did send him an email about it...the inverter blows the fuse as soon as i plug the inverter itself into the 12v socket...you said try a continuity test between ground and the "line" the switched power line i was referring to?...Thanks for your help by the way... Like I said I just find it odd that this thing worked for like years and now..nothing...
    I was talking about testing on the AC side(120V) not the DC side (12v).Might just be time for a new unit. I bought one of these and it works great for my laptop.Plus it has a 5v USB port as well.It has its own overcurrent protection.

Black & Decker Power Tools

Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

yeah..maybe your right time for a new one...im going to try and fart around with this one for a little while and see what i can come up with...thanks for the tips and info Donkey...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.