the Turbo is not boosting..any help ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on the Turbo is not boosting..any help ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello guys ,, first of all excuse me for my bad english i drive a legacy 2002 with a WRX ...

the Turbo is not boosting..any help ?

hello guys ,,

first of all excuse me for my bad english

i drive a legacy 2002 with a WRX 2L engine..few weeks ago i got some problems with the turbo its not boosting as well .. i replaced the west gate with a new one but still the same problem, i borrow my friend turbo to test it on my car but i got the same i checked every thing with expert friend but nothing
    i went to subaru expert mechanical and he told me that my engine compression is low .. so i replaced the hole engine with other used one and we used my old turbo but i still have the same problem!! any help guys ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Did you do any modifications shortly before you had the problems boosting?

Did you check the compression of the new engine?
    If the compression of the new engine is good, then you either have a boost leak or a problem with the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Did you do any modifications shortly before you had the problems boosting?

Did you check the compression of the new engine?
    If the compression of the new engine is good, then you either have a boost leak or a problem with the turbo.
    thx for your fast replay jeremy96gase
    no i did not any new modifications..the compression of the new engine is perfect..what is the boost leak ?

A boost leak is when you have an opening in the intake track from the compressor outlet of the Turbo to the throttle body letting, exactly what it says "boost leak"...thus not hitting target boost when desired..As mentioned I would go over all clamps and vacuum lines and make sure they are tight/connected properly and arent damaged. What parts did you use off of the old engine besides the turbo? How many miles are on the "new" engine? Did you see/hear about the vehicle the "new" engine was removed from? Im assuming you've inspected your turbo for shaft play/ seal leakage etc etc ??? Do you have any idle problems or any other driveability problems? Do you have a boost gauge or any other way of monitoring boost?

Boost leak test instructions

Just completed the DIY "find your leak" tool. - NASIOC

This one's not for a Subaru, but has loads of tasty information
    BOOST LEAK GUIDE

Also any Subaru dealer should be able to perform this test.

I Support ClubWRX
    how old is the turbo? how much boost is ran through it? etc... it may have fried bearings as well... not common, but a possibility if there's any oil starvation problems.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

EvoEatr
    i did not use any part from the old engine .. just the turbo..and the "new" engine imported from japan and i have no idea How many miles are on .. i dont have any idle problems or any other driveability problems, and about the boost leak i tested all lines but i will do other test by using air compressor to see if there is any leak.
    i have boost gauge, its not famous brand but its working smoothly

i have replaced this parts befor changing the engine :

air mass ,engine computer , intercooler , turbo

but still the same problem

so if your 100% sure your boost gauge is accurate what max boost are hitting? I'm assuming the entire power train is stock?

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    so if your 100% sure your boost gauge is accurate what max boost are hitting? I'm assuming the entire power train is stock?
    now the gauge hitting 0.5 max
    befor it can reach 1.0

yeah as mentioned first step I would do is a boost leak test...let us know what you come up with...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like you are running on wastegate spring pressure only. Suspect your boost control solenoid is stuck closed.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    If you did an engine swap, and the ECU (computer) went with the swap, did you have to do a wiring harness swap too?

This may be silly, but have you checked all of your fuses?

If you have changed out engines, what parts did you keep from the old engine?

It sure sounds like a vacuum or boost issue. I'd be looking closely at the solenoid, the vacuum lines, or the machanical wastegate linkage.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

guys my problem is fixed now .. and here what i did to fix it

first thing i return the new engine and installed my old engine with all its stuff again .. then perform a leak test so i found 3 boost leak points , i changed all vacuum lines and that device near air mass which one vacuume line connected to it

and my car performance become better than before

am really amazed what boost leak can do to the engine performance..well thank you guys for your help
    now am sure you guys know about subaru more than some subaru expert technicals

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad the site could help
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

sounds like ur missing the restrictor pill between the compressor housing and the tee piece inside that black hose
    not sure about o2 models like but u only get wastgate pressur (0.5 bar ) when this restrictor is missing , it is a small brass bullet shaped thing inside the hose coming off the turbo its self before the tee piece it should have a small hole through it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.