Radio problem??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Radio problem?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hello, i bought a 2002 wrx about a month ago and am having an electrical problem. i blew the fuse ...

Radio problem??

hello, i bought a 2002 wrx about a month ago and am having an electrical problem. i blew the fuse for the radio about a week ago, replaced it with no problem. then it blew again, and again, and again. now, as soo as the fuse makes contact, it blows. it is the stock head unit with some aftermarket speakers. i noticed the oil temp and volt meter on the center 3 pod cuts out when the radio does too? is there a fuse in the engine box that controls both?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sounds like maybe you have a short to ground somewhere or something...did you make sure its the correct amperage fuse your installing? by any chance when the fuse blows are you using your cigarette lighter plug to charge your cell phone etc etc??? Some of those cigarette lighter plugs are just that..just for cigarette lighters not for charging phones etc etc...so what happens is people throw there i pod or cell phone charger in there and the fuse blows...Is it the dealer installed option gauge package? Anyways, I do believe there is a fuse under the hood in the fuse panel which controls the clock/acc it should be a 15 amp. mini fuse..

well i havnt check the fuse under the hood, but i replaced the radio fuse in the side dash box, thats the one that keeps blowing. my gps is plugged in now, but it wasnt when i first happened. i drove 2000 miles on a trip and it was fine, once im back in town and just driving to work it blows. its a 15a, but i tried a 20 once, thinking the aftermarket speakers a drawing too much power. any other ideas? where might there be a ground problem?

well, first don't ever replace the fuse with one of the non-specified rating..It could cause serious damage or even a fire...don't laugh Ive seen it happen...Did the 20 amp. fuse blow also?...So what happens when you just cruise around for a while with your GPS unplugged? Does the fuse blow than? Like I said im thinking this is one of those deals where you have a cig. lighter and people mistake it for a power outlet...did the cig. lighter socket come with the fake black dead plastic lighter in it? Like mentioned I cant be there to look at the vehicle so Im shooting from the hip here from what Ive experienced/ my own knowledge...

i drove 2000 miles with the radio blasting and gps, ipod, and phone charging in circut, never cut out. yes, the 20a blew on contact as well. if the car is running, it blows as soon as you push it in. if its off, it blows as soon as it starts. so i cant even get a fuse to last long enough to test if its the cig lighter or outlet. i dont think its that at all. maybe a ground wire? would it be logical to take it to best buy and let there tech look at it? the speakers were installed there. the car is also wired for a amp and subs but its not connected. all the ends are taped, and i never had a problem with it before. it is a factory 3 pod as well.

Well if you didn't experience this problem before the aftermarket speakers where installed and now this is happening I would def. take it back and have them look at it...Personally Its kind of odd for me to hear about someone having aftermarket speakers installed with a stock Head unit (just speaking from what I've seen) Just keep in mind its very difficult to diag. these kinds of problems online for we cannot touch/see the vehicle/problem..The best I can come up with from the info you've provided is yes, a short to ground somewhere (the fuse blowing immediately is a good sign) maybe a wire got pinched or something and you say the cig. lighter was run forever as a power source so that shouldn't be a problem....hmmm...sorry I cant be of more assistance...( you said the car is wired for a amp and Subs...assuming you aren't the original owner of the car my bet is someone else had another head unit in there and it wasnt wired properly or maybe there electrical tape/twist wire combo came undone)...
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 06-16-2009 at 06:48 AM.

I am the second owner, but the first owner had the speakers put in, and i never really had this problem untill recently. it has always been good. i would just put a touch screen in, but i dont have the money right now. (college student) put in a new fuse today, and it ran good untill i started the car on my break and it blew.

yea if you have the time..I would pull the head unit and make sure all the wires are properly attached...Ive had this problem before where people try and install there own radio and twist the wires together and electrical tape them..which couldnt be more of the wrong way of doing the job..lol

finally figured this out! turns out, ground wire for the subs...

i called best buy to report their imcompentent installer, turns out, they already fired the kid.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.