Engine Problems?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Engine Problems? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is probably a long shot at 1 in the morning, but my cars having problems while driving, the car ...

Engine Problems?

This is probably a long shot at 1 in the morning, but my cars having problems while driving, the car shut off and the engine wont crank but the lights and everything are working just fine. I suspected the alternator but the lights would be dimming and my car probably wouldn't die while its still driving around. Im thinking its a bad battery, but if any help could be given with the symptons, what could be wrong with my car. I was able to start the car and drive, but im definitely worried on whats going on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    How were you able to start the car?

Does it drive normally and idle normally now that it's started?

Any modifications?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thanks for the quick reply, I had to jump start it with jumper cables, but for now everything seems to be running and idling normally. No mods besides cobb access port.

I Support ClubWRX
    If jump starting it fixed the issues suspect either a bad connection at the battery terminal or a bad battery. A bad alternator would probably result in a warning light on the dash. Since I find it unlikely that the car would shut off if the battery were bad (it'd probably not start to begin with) look closely for a bad connection at the battery terminals, and follow each wire to make sure the other end is also solid.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Alright, thanks for the advice ill go look into it, probably check the battery terminals, and ultimately change the battery to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane01 View Post
    This is probably a long shot at 1 in the morning, but my cars having problems while driving, the car shut off and the engine wont crank but the lights and everything are working just fine. I suspected the alternator but the lights would be dimming and my car probably wouldn't die while its still driving around. Im thinking its a bad battery, but if any help could be given with the symptons, what could be wrong with my car. I was able to start the car and drive, but im definitely worried on whats going on.
    Actually, a bad alternator would definitely cause your car to shut off while you are driving. The alternator is what charges the battery. If your alternator isnt functioning properly, then your car is running off of the battery, which means it wont stay on too long.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.