boost gauge installation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on boost gauge installation within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought a Lamco boost gauge off of someone but it appears he just ripped it out of his car ...

boost gauge installation

I bought a Lamco boost gauge off of someone but it appears he just ripped it out of his car after it was totalled. The previous owner said he got it "professionally" installed.

My problem lies with wiring. The professionals deemed it unnecessary to use the included harness and went on to wire it themselves. Now I have a positive wire and a ground wire to run the boost gauge lighting which is fine, I just don't know where I can run it to so that the light turns on when I turn on my headlight or parking light.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You could always run it into the parking light switch....take a look here might be of some help in the wiring section... Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

mine is wired into my cig-lighter

Quote Originally Posted by WRXWagon88 View Post
    interesting....i might try this

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXWagon88 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jexeffectz View Post
    interesting....i might try this
    That's what I did for my hardwire installation on my radar detector.

Use these parts... makes life so easy.

952 - 3M 952 (TTAPB) Self-Stripping T-Tap Female Quick Slide Connector - Stinger - Accessories - Accessories - Discount Car Stereo.com - Detail
    952 - 3M 952 (TTAPB) Self-Stripping T-Tap Female Quick Slide Connector - Stinger - Accessories - Accessories - Discount Car Stereo.com - Detail

The first one taps the line (it doesn't discontinue power, or anything... just piggybacks it!) and the second one is the quick connect into the first one. The first one doesn't even need electrical taped.. it locks, and the plastic insulates it.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

you can try tapping off the headlight wire right under the steering column. all u need to do is remove the screw taht holds on the bottom half of the steering column and splice a wire into it.

pretty nice if youre mounting it on top also so the wire aint too long, and it turns on/off with your headlights.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pactin View Post
    you can try tapping off the headlight wire right under the steering column. all u need to do is remove the screw taht holds on the bottom half of the steering column and splice a wire into it.

pretty nice if youre mounting it on top also so the wire aint too long, and it turns on/off with your headlights.
    true... good point.

The Cig lighter will keep it on the whole time the key is on... I guess it depends on how dark the gauge face is. I'd probably still do the Cig Lighter though...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

So I guess tapping into some wire is the only way, I'll keep everyone posted.

Where are you mounting the gauge? I have my gauge cluster on the dash where the clock used to be. For the gauge lights, I used the power wire that dimmed the clock when you turned the headlights on. That way the gauge lights only come on when you turn the headlights on.
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    Where are you mounting the gauge? I have my gauge cluster on the dash where the clock used to be. For the gauge lights, I used the power wire that dimmed the clock when you turned the headlights on. That way the gauge lights only come on when you turn the headlights on.
    I'm mounting it on the steering column

just an update:

I got everything working. I basically connected the positive wire to my parking switch, and the ground the the LH steering bolt. The light turns on the way I want it, but the reading is WAY off, which means something is wrong with the gauge itself. I'm gonna try to re-zero the gauge myself. The link below tells you how to do it:

http://www.scoobymods.com/zero_back_...60.html?t=5360)

If there is any other means of re-zeroing, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll keep everyone updated on my progress. I'll try to take pics too for everyone.

the boost/vacuum gauge wont give u decent reading until 3rd or second gear it will mosly show negative pressure or vacuum as its called until u get moving preferably up a hill as this is most likely when u hit peak boost i thought mine was of untill i drove it in 3rd gauges shouldnt really need re zeroed as u sed as soon as u start the car it should show negative vacuum and doesnt go up until u floor it wjile actualy moving , on a standstill rev u will be lucky to get 0.4 bar unless u got anti lag

Quote Originally Posted by johngoulding View Post
    the boost/vacuum gauge wont give u decent reading until 3rd or second gear it will mosly show negative pressure or vacuum as its called until u get moving preferably up a hill as this is most likely when u hit peak boost i thought mine was of untill i drove it in 3rd gauges shouldnt really need re zeroed as u sed as soon as u start the car it should show negative vacuum and doesnt go up until u floor it wjile actualy moving , on a standstill rev u will be lucky to get 0.4 bar unless u got anti lag
    I understand that...but with the car off...the needle is at -.02, when it should be at zero, from my understanding. Then with it idle, it will drop negative because of vacuum. I got the gauge used too, so I have no idea how old the gauge is. It's not much of a problem for me since I got it for cheap.

mines sits slightly bellow zero but not that much , with it being an old gauge think of it like an old pillow when u sit on it it doesnt go back up wher as a new pillow is quite spongy and goes back to the way it was before u sat on it when u stand up
    stupid way 2 explain it like but i think the spring or whatever it is inside the gauge is not going back 2 zero because its weak u always sit way below zero anyway on idle just before u turn the car off maybe the gauge aint got the strength to pull it back 2 zero by itslef with it being so old? what does it read when you are driving though thats the main thing doesnt really matter what it says when the cars not running.

Quote Originally Posted by johngoulding View Post
    mines sits slightly bellow zero but not that much , with it being an old gauge think of it like an old pillow when u sit on it it doesnt go back up wher as a new pillow is quite spongy and goes back to the way it was before u sat on it when u stand up
    stupid way 2 explain it like but i think the spring or whatever it is inside the gauge is not going back 2 zero because its weak u always sit way below zero anyway on idle just before u turn the car off maybe the gauge aint got the strength to pull it back 2 zero by itslef with it being so old? what does it read when you are driving though thats the main thing doesnt really matter what it says when the cars not running.
    It's past -.05, maybe around -.06 or -.07. I'm gonna try the re-zeroing, if not...then I'll buy an omori gauge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast