Power Steering Problem

This is a discussion on Power Steering Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; OK so i do some donuts in in a open field you know enjoy the Subaru a little bit nothing ...

Power Steering Problem

OK so i do some donuts in in a open field you know enjoy the Subaru a little bit nothing too harsh,

then my steering is very hard (need two hands) when the car is at a dead stop at idle, when the car is at a dead stop and reved to 2grand the wheel moves fine, also when i start the car cold and it idles at 1,500 it moves fine then gradually gets worse to where i need two hands to steer

SO am i looking at a power steering pump replace? or maybe I burnt up the fluid?

any help will be greatly appreciated thanks
    Silver 02 WRX Stock
    TBE coming soon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What year is the vehicle?How many miles? Is the drive belt in good condition? tensioned properly? Also check your fluid level..What happens a lot is the P/S lines (where they attach to the pump which houses the o-rings)...these lines (even if they are moved the slightest bit) like to make a significantly small air pocket around the o-ring and leak...Ive ran into this multiple times...Especially on the STI's...Personally If you dont find anything with the fluid level, evident external leaks, or drive belt condition/tension I would try and replace those o-rings and see if that helps.... Easy enough to replace and much less expensive than a new pump...

I Support ClubWRX
    Every year on Nasioc there is an announcement right before winter advising against donuts. Apparently full lock turns creates ~ 15x the pressure of a normal turn on the pump. There are several reports of the seals braking from full lock donuts. (full lock means you have the wheel cranked all the way to one side or the other) You probably blew a seal. It's possible to rebuild the pump, but the steering pump has been the same for YEARS and it'd be easier to contact a company like SuperRupair that sells used subaru parts.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

ohh ok so basically im just loooking for a new pump for sure? i was just wondering what else could have gone bad from that stunt.
    darn i wish i would have waited until the winter to do this,
    so im just gonna go ahead and replace it?
    will that solve my problems or could there be something else?
    thank you for the reply idk how i haven't stumbled upon that information yet

-thanks
    Silver 02 WRX Stock
    TBE coming soon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrob. View Post
    ohh ok so basically im just loooking for a new pump for sure? i was just wondering what else could have gone bad from that stunt.
    darn i wish i would have waited until the winter to do this,
    so im just gonna go ahead and replace it?
    will that solve my problems or could there be something else?
    thank you for the reply idk how i haven't stumbled upon that information yet

-thanks
    it's not 100%... but I'd put my money on it. Check out NASIOC and find the posts regarding donuts blowing steering pumps.. then see if it matches what you're experiencing.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!