A/C Issue...How low does freon have to be to keep compressor off?

This is a discussion on A/C Issue...How low does freon have to be to keep compressor off? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My A/C didn't work when I needed it to this warm season. The compressor wouldn't turn on. I put a ...

A/C Issue...How low does freon have to be to keep compressor off?

My A/C didn't work when I needed it to this warm season. The compressor wouldn't turn on. I put a 13 oz can to it and it registered at 0 psi. Pulled the trigger a bit, and it went up to 25 psi pretty quickly. I tried the A/C and the compressor kicked on, but the air still wasn't cold. I put some in a little at a time, checking the A/C temp as I went, and it never blew cold---all the way up to 46 psi. There is still liquid in the can.

I used this can initially to check a Rav4 I've since sold. It registered at 60 psi on the lowside with this can. When I took the Rav to the mechanic becuase I thought it was overcharged, I found out it was in fact, a pound and a half short of freon.

So I think this gauge on the can is about what you could expect out of spending $15.95.

So my question is: HOW LOW WOULD THE SYSTEM HAVE TO BE TO KEEP THE COMPRESSOR FROM COMING ON? MORE THAN A POUND?

If so, I'm just gonna put this can in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I will say this...If the system is Overcharged It is possible that it will blow warm air....It is very easy to overcharge these systems....Personally I dont like using those little cans of refrigerant from walmart or pepboys or whatnot....Simply because you can only use the little gauge they give you with the can for the low side ( if they give you one at all)...You have no way of monitoring the high side pressure (unless of course you have a set of manifold gauges)...I will also mention this...I would not trust the little gauge on a $15 can of "r134a" with accurately measuring your AC system...sometimes even the MAC gauges can mess up and thats proven quality.....