need some advice and a little help new wrx owner

This is a discussion on need some advice and a little help new wrx owner within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I bought a 2002 wrx. I have always owned rotary's so dont know to much about boxer engines. Well ...

need some advice and a little help new wrx owner

Well I bought a 2002 wrx. I have always owned rotary's so dont know to much about boxer engines. Well first off My check engine light came on It said cylinder one misfire. Well after I replaced the plugs the light was stii on. So than me and my buddie "another rotary guy" Thought it had to be a fuel problem I ran cleaner threw it like four times and it went away. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so what they did to fix it. Thanks for your help. Oh and just curious has anyone done a cobb stage 2 and if so how do you like it??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

02s seemed to have a lot of problems with CELs compared to the later years. My old bugeye had the same problem and it wasn't fixed until the timing belt was changed and I realized that the belt slipped a tooth.

Lots of other things it could be though. Fuel quality and plugs are good to check. Likewise injectors and coil packs.

yea it's hard to say how many miles are on the car? I'd start with electrical/fuel, then work on getting the timing belt cover off too see, if it's not been timed in a while, like he said it's probably time, if you have access to the wreckyard try and get a new spark plug cable and injector.., check all the the leads running to that specific cylinder, I guess you could do a compression test as well...

edit for cobb:

I'm running Stage 2 at the moment the car has a totally different personality, not to mention your chip still has to learn the guidelines...I'm working on stage 3, I did have mine dyno'd at 287 crank HP. It's worth it if your not willing to pay for a cobb exhaust go with nvidia or piece something together similar..
    Last edited by erakem; 06-03-2009 at 06:35 PM.
    My 440HP 2.9L Jetta VR6.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/858983

Infamous Quotes
    Horsepower sells parts. Torque wins races.

yeah the check engine light went away but I just dont want it to come back. So you say a stage two pushed 287 to the wheels?? sounds like a good investment! Did you get yours tuned?? And by who?? OH yeah and my car has 100k on it

nope for about 2g new you can get Cobb Stage 2 with their Access Port. Can honestly do it for about a grand if you find some used stuff.

Thats just a exhaust and AP, i'd recommend upgrading the intake tool.
    My 440HP 2.9L Jetta VR6.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/858983

Infamous Quotes
    Horsepower sells parts. Torque wins races.