Vibration under Braking

This is a discussion on Vibration under Braking within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ive got an 06 WRX with about 17,000 miles on it. Under medium to heavy braking a kind of vibration ...

Vibration under Braking

Ive got an 06 WRX with about 17,000 miles on it. Under medium to heavy braking a kind of vibration comes up through the wheel, I can also feel it in the brake pedal. It happens the most if the car is turning. This could be either while being driven hard or even on a normal road. It has happened for some time but now it is getting pretty annoying and I'm worried it will damage the car. Thoughts? Does $45 for a 30 minute check up sound ridiculous to anyone else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i believe that sounds like a warped rotor, same thing happened to me
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

It does sound like a warped rotor, which I also had, but mine seemed to vibrate less as I turned, but going straight and hitting the breaks especially exiting the highway had terrible pedal and steering wheel vibrations.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

hitting ABS? wouldn't you feel a variation in braking power from a warped rotor.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Rotors don't really warp very often anymore. It is almost always due to uneven brake deposits. You can try to rebed them (i.e. follow the break in procedure) or you can get new ones for $30 each from AZ.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Rotors don't really warp very often anymore. It is almost always due to uneven brake deposits. You can try to rebed them (i.e. follow the break in procedure) or you can get new ones for $30 each from AZ.
    I had the same problem and used a dial indicator to measure rotor run-out. Rotors were not warped so I bought new pads and followed the rebed procedure found here. Problem solved.

as mentioned yes chances are it is a warped rotor however a bad wheel bearing can also cause this but you would usually hear a noise also..The car might still be under warranty I would check with Subaru..3 36 right? Warping rotors is an extremely common problem with Subarus for some reason...good thing is you can usually get about two cuts out of a set of rotors...

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    as mentioned yes chances are it is a warped rotor however a bad wheel bearing can also cause this but you would usually hear a noise also..The car might still be under warranty I would check with Subaru..3 36 right? Warping rotors is an extremely common problem with Subarus for some reason...good thing is you can usually get about two cuts out of a set of rotors...
    Good point on the warranty - it even used to cover the pads.

Did you determine the rotors were actually warped? My impression is that is a myth, but you seem to be a good tech? I've had vibrations develop intermittently but was always able to cure them with the basic bedding procedure. A few hard stops but don't stop completely (that is how the problem develops in the first place), then let cool. My rotors lasted 60K and were never turned. Just did the Outback today also, 104K and they looked like the second set (never turned). Had a vibration when we got it but it was cured by bedding too. They were rusty so I replaced them. Turning just reduces the mass, mass helps prevent the problem - for $25-$30 I just grab a new ones.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb