Brake caliper piston seal replacement ?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Brake caliper piston seal replacement ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi I fly a WRX wagon 2006 I was changing rims the other day and noticed that the inner side ...

Brake caliper piston seal replacement ?

Hi
    I fly a WRX wagon 2006

I was changing rims the other day
    and noticed that the inner side of the caliper does not go back so the pad is pretty much done on that part. the outer part works as it should and the pad there is fine.
    Its a 4piston caliper.

My guess was that the seal had broke and dirt came in between. Preventing the piston to roll back.
    So I went to get a seal replacement kit and new pads.

Any advices / Hints before I go and do something stupid that could ruin the caliper / pistons / ?
    WRX Wagon '06

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

they're just pushed out that way by hydraulics - grab a small vice and push them back in.. not a big deal?
    08 WRX Sedan
    the WRX is back! 340whp 366 tq @22psi

Since I was changing the rear pads I decided to take a look at the front aswell.

I took the pads out the outer one was as easy as opening a can of Red Bull but pressing the pistons back on the inner was way harder and I only managed to get them just as far as I needed to yank the ruined pad out.
    And can't get the piston any further back.

So I think I am gonna go through on this and tear the whole thing apart when I get more time.
    WRX Wagon '06

If you get a pair of Vise grip C clamp tools, nothing smaller than 6 inches, you cna very quickly push the pistons back into the calipers. The trick is to squeeze them simultaneously so your compression of one piston doesn't just push out the other.

Quote Originally Posted by specialev View Post
    If you get a pair of Vise grip C clamp tools, nothing smaller than 6 inches, you cna very quickly push the pistons back into the calipers. The trick is to squeeze them simultaneously so your compression of one piston doesn't just push out the other.
    yup, just 2 vices to push both pistons in at same time..
    08 WRX Sedan
    the WRX is back! 340whp 366 tq @22psi

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.