2002 Air Conditioner Problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 Air Conditioner Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I've had my AC looked at about 5 times in the last year. It cools and cycles normally about ...

Unhappy 2002 Air Conditioner Problem

So I've had my AC looked at about 5 times in the last year. It cools and cycles normally about 70% of the time but other times it will completely stop working and blow hot air. I've noticed this happens most often when I'm sitting still in neutral or in rush hour start/stop traffic. But I can't consistently reproduce the problem.

I had the radiator replaced about a year ago because it was cracked. Most recently I took it to Firestone 3 times where they replaced a compressor hose and 2 schraeder valves. On the last visit they could find no leaks and the mechanic suspected it to be either an electrical or clutch problem of which he had no way to test.

The only option I have left is to take this to the dealership and my dealership SUCKS. I know those ****holes will just say "we can't reproduce the problem" and charge me $90. Unfortunately it's the only dealership within 100 miles of me.

I'm seeing a few other posts from people with an 02 that are repairing/replacing their AC system. Is there something wrong with this particular model? Anything specific I can tell the ****holes(dealership) to look for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a clogged orifice tube and/or receiver drier.

I know very little about car engines as I'm still learning, particularly AC parts. Can you go into more detail?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
    I know very little about car engines as I'm still learning, particularly AC parts. Can you go into more detail?
    The receiver drier is the storage tank for the liquid refrigerant. It also removes moisture from the refrigerant. The primary function of the receiver-drier is to separate gas and liquid. The secondary purpose is to remove moisture and filter out dirt.

The orifice tube is basically a tiny mesh filter in the line that can become clogged.

If either of these are clogged, you will exhibit the symptoms you've described.

Ok, now is it possible I can inspect either one of these myself?

I should also mention of the last 3 visits I've had to Firestone they've drained and refilled my freon each time.

You cant inspect it yourself cause you need to suck down the a/c system and take it apart. If you pay dome one to do it you mind as well just replace it while there in there looking. Another thing you can try is inspecting the connectors on the radiator fans for loose or pushed out pins and make sure the high speed fan is working properly. if those dont come on the a/c wont work.

12.7 1/4 mile w/ intercooler sprayer

Quote Originally Posted by Undercover STI View Post
    You cant inspect it yourself cause you need to suck down the a/c system and take it apart. If you pay dome one to do it you mind as well just replace it while there in there looking.
    When you say replace "it", what do you mean by it?

the orifice tube, the receiver drier is kinda pricey to just replace

12.7 1/4 mile w/ intercooler sprayer

Turns out I had a bad thermostat on my evaporator. The buttmonkeys at the dealership replaced it and it seems to be working great now.

Turns out I had a bad thermostat on my evaporator. The buttmonkeys at the dealership replaced it and it seems to be working great now.

I guess this doesn't say to much for Firestone...To be completely honest I wouldnt trust the guys at the local lube to put air in my tires...History tells it all...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    I guess this doesn't say to much for Firestone...To be completely honest I wouldnt trust the guys at the local lube to put air in my tires...History tells it all...
    It says even less about my dealership since they came to me 2 different times while I waited on the car with 2 different answers before I told them they were wrong. THEN they checked the evap. And all this was after the first time I took it to them All told this has lasted over 6 months.

Don't ever do business with the Little Rock dealership.

It says even less about my dealership since they came to me 2 different times while I waited on the car with 2 different answers before I told them they were wrong. THEN they checked the evap. And all this was after the first time I took it to them All told this has lasted over 6 months.

Don't ever do business with the Little Rock dealership.
    Good point! I guess in general its kind of difficult to find someone competent to work on your vehicle...nonetheless im glad its fixed....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.