Tubro and white smoke
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tubro and white smoke within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello. i have 2002 WRX that i have owned since 20,000 miles. It currently has 168,000 mile on it. About ...

Tubro and white smoke

Hello.
    i have 2002 WRX that i have owned since 20,000 miles. It currently has 168,000 mile on it. About 5 months ago my turbo stopped working and my car became very slow, about a week ago it started to pump out white smoke out. I am pretty sure it is oil because my oil level went down. The white smoke is inconsistent, sometimes it barely noticeable or non existent and other times it looks likes i am a textile factory driving down the road. I brought it to a few places but they all told me anywhere from 1100 to 4000 to fix it but could not tell me what is wrong with it, most places told me they wont even work on my engine.

I just brought it off at the local Subaru dealership and the service man was telling me probably oil sludge because i would go every 5000 miles in between oil changes instead of 3500. I highly doubt it is oil sludge in engine from waiting and extra 1500 miles. My car is old now and i do not drive it as hard as me and my friend used to, i pretty much baby it when i drive.
    My car drove completely fine for with out a turbo, it was slow but worked. I only use the car to drive to work and back which is a 4 mile drive so getting my turbo repaired was not on the top of my list.

Just wondering if anyone heard of anything like this or might no what it is. The age of the car and the miles i don't really want to dump allot of money into it because i wont get it back. From what i read on this forum it might be the turbo oil seal or it might be some serous engine trouble. I did not notice a bluish tint in the smoke but my head gasket test was fine and the car does run hot and the antifreeze level does not change ever.

any ideas let me know.

Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've never heard of anyone driving around for 5 months with a dead turbo.

White smoke means its water/antifreeze. If the head gaskets tested fine, then it's probably coming from the turbo. Just because the turbo isn't spinning does mean coolant isn't going though it.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the turbo's taking the oil as well.

Edit : On second though. Are you sure the smoke is white, and not slightly blue?
    You said the head gasket tested fine, did that include a compression check? If so what where the numbers?
    What kind of gas mileage have you been getting with no turbo?
    What does the owners manual say about the oil changes? On the 2005's it said 7500miles between changes.
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 05-28-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Yea i was traveling allot and was kinda broke so didn't have the money to fix it and never really used the car. Got the money now just not sure worth fixing it or not.

I am not sure what the pressure gauge said. My gas millage has not changed anywhere from 18-20 depending on highway or not. The manual says 7500 miles between changes, but i have read some post that have some pretty intense arguments saying 7500 will ruin your car. I am pretty sure last time i changed my oil i went with the high mileage synthetic and from what i read that was a bad idea switching to synthetic with that many miles.

I am not sure about the smoke, it is at the dealer right now, but it looked white what it was coming through my vents into my face.
    Last edited by johnbmackin; 05-28-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbmackin View Post
    I am not sure what the pressure gauge said. My gas millage has not changed anywhere from 18-20 depending on highway or not. The manual says 7500 miles between changes, but i have read some post that have some pretty intense arguments saying 7500 will ruin your car. I am pretty sure last time i changed my oil i went with the high mileage synthetic and from what i read that was a bad idea switching to synthetic with that many miles.

I am not sure about the smoke, it is at the dealer right now, but it looked white what it was coming through my vents into my face.

Obviously this is a turbo car so oil change interval is CRITICAL...much better to change it to often than not enough.... What do you mean your Turbo "wasn't working" do you have a boost gauge or any other means of monitoring boost? Where you just not boosting? 168k miles is a lot so nothing can really be like ruled out...As mentioned if the combustion leak test for the HG came back fine im inclinded to think you need a turbo from the info youve supplied. The stock turbo is not expensive for a decent used one plus if you have the coin it might be worth popping a known good used turbo on there and see if that clears up your problem...

I just talked to the dealer and they said the turbo was definitely the issue with it just dumping oil right into the engine, they do not know if it is anything else they just stopped there when the found that problem. They quoted me $1700 for stock turbo and labor. Seamed kinda high, what do you guys think.

I just talked to the dealer and they said the turbo was definitely the issue with it just dumping oil right into the engine, they do not know if it is anything else they just stopped there when the found that problem. They quoted me $1700 for stock turbo and labor. Seamed kinda high, what do you guys think.
    $1700!!! You can find a used TD04 for pretty freaking cheap. I was gonna put mine on Craigslist for next to nothing. On top of that the labor is pretty simple. Drop the Down Pipe, yank the IC and your basically staring at the whole thing.

Where do you live? I'll do the whole thing for $500 turbo included
    Last edited by Spencer3636; 05-29-2009 at 09:10 AM.
    Carpe Diem!

My 03 Bugeye is cooler than your mom

Bugeye Mafia #222

I live in Saint Petersburg, FL. They said the part was normally 1500 and they would give it to me for 1095, and they are charging $360 for labor(3 hours at $90/h) and the rest is shop supplies and gaskets. I think i am gonna buy a used one online and find a different place to install it, Does any one know a good place to get one online in good condition?
    Spencer3636.. you in my area

check around on craigslist and ebay..just beware of scams....As mentioned the Turbos on these cars are pretty simple to replace as long as your have some kind of mechanical aptitude. Take a look here if you feel like tackling the job yourself... http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/3%20...C%20ENGINE.PDF

Does anyone know what other year WRX turbos will fit my 02'. Also, has anyone bought anything off or hear anything good or bad about pamsautos.com? It is a online junkyard where you can buy salvaged parts.

does anyone know if a 04' turbo will fin a 02' wrx

does anyone know if a 04' turbo will fin a 02' wrx
    Stock 04 wrx? should be a TD04 and yes it will fit, other model turbos will fit also, like the VF34, VF39, VF43 etc.. but would need supporting mods.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Yea its a stock 04 turbo. I thought i read some where that the water gate or something like that would have to be modified or switched to make it compatible.

Yea its a stock 04 turbo. I thought i read some where that the water gate or something like that would have to be modified or switched to make it compatible.
    I haven't heard that, I always thought a TD04 was a TD04 someone should chime in soon and clear it up
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

I haven't heard that either, "waste Gate" maybe?

My buddie has an 02 and put a VF39 from an 05 STI in it and it worked fine. As did I. So I dont think you would have a problem with the TD04.

What is the price for the turbo from the 04?
    Carpe Diem!

My 03 Bugeye is cooler than your mom

Bugeye Mafia #222

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.