Bogging/no power/jerking - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bogging/no power/jerking within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by wrxwagon2 put a new fuel filter on and it smoothed out the idle but its still cuts ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxwagon2 View Post
    put a new fuel filter on and it smoothed out the idle but its still cuts some power out around 5 thousand rpm, thinking i need a new MAF..
    So did you clean the MAF as well?CRC makes a specific cleaner for Mass Airflow Sensors.When you clean the sensor the amber bulb on the outside is not the MAF,that is the IAT sensor.The MAF is down in the tube.When you clean it don't ever directly spray it.Spray the side of the tube and shake the solution around.Also don't forget to check for loose vacuum hoses or loose clamps on the airbox back to the turbo.The stock turbo inlet pipe has been known to crack and cause an airleak as well.
    Last edited by Donkey; 05-30-2009 at 07:18 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You guys are scaring me, I just bought a car with the same CEL code, burnt piston?? Seafome, can you get that at autozone, the car I bought has a cheep oil aftermarket intake also. Slight jerking at low rpms also.

I have a 05 and the fuel filter is in the fuel tank?????? Is it?? I am performing the 60,000 mile tuneup and now I will call subaru ASAP for the filter.

WTF!!!

I have been having the same symtoms on my 03 wrx with the air intake and MAS. after you cleaned the MAS did anything improve? also i was wondering if you have an aftermarket air intake do you need to get a MAS specifically for that intake or does it matter? any help would be appreciated. thanks

Cleaning the MAF sensor does not always work. If your MAF is faulty, you have to replace it. The reason i melted my pistons was because i drove with my car running lean for A WHILE.

The stupid mechanic couldn't find the problem so of course my pistons were doomed.

It's always good to have an Air/fuel ratio gauge so you know whats going on. Running lean is one of the most catastrophic things you can do with your car.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Agreed. Ordered a new MAF , picking it up today and hopfully that fixes the problem. I tryed everything else so this is the last thing i need.
    2004 WRX (currently driving)
    2000 Audi S4 APR tuned (sold)
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )
    1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by silversubby View Post
    I have been having the same symtoms on my 03 wrx with the air intake and MAS. after you cleaned the MAS did anything improve? also i was wondering if you have an aftermarket air intake do you need to get a MAS specifically for that intake or does it matter? any help would be appreciated. thanks
    The MAS is not the problem,it's your airfilter.Any oiled filter could cause problems with the MAS.There no "special" sensor for intakes.Also an improperly designed intake can also cause a P0171 DTC to activate if the MAF sensor scaling has not been changed to work with the new intake.
    Last edited by Donkey; 06-01-2009 at 04:26 PM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    There no "special" sensor for intakes.
    What about that MAF by that brand "OEM" ??
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    What about that MAF by that brand "OEM" ??
    I think Denso makes one too!
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

So got back from the autostore, put the MAF sensor in and reset the computer. It seemed normal with a little powerloss still and what do you know the CEL comes back on. Im thinking about just bringing it in.........
    2004 WRX (currently driving)
    2000 Audi S4 APR tuned (sold)
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )
    1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

I Support ClubWRX
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

that was a pretty interesting link. i just cleaned my MAF with CRC Mass air flow sensor cleaner and replaced my fuel filter and my check engine light is no longer on but it idles really low like 300-500 i dont think that is normal. i would try swapping MAFs and o2 sensors but i dont have any buddies with WRXs

Quote Originally Posted by wrxwagon2 View Post
    So got back from the autostore, put the MAF sensor in and reset the computer. It seemed normal with a little powerloss still and what do you know the CEL comes back on. Im thinking about just bringing it in.........
    Could be a vacuum leak, but yea just bring it in because that CEL is VERY BAD.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by silversubby View Post
    that was a pretty interesting link. i just cleaned my MAF with CRC Mass air flow sensor cleaner and replaced my fuel filter and my check engine light is no longer on but it idles really low like 300-500 i dont think that is normal. i would try swapping MAFs and o2 sensors but i dont have any buddies with WRXs
    Try cleaning the IAC valve
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

What is the IAC valve? and where is it? oh and my CEL is back on. im gunna try and get the codes but i dont know how soon i will be able to.

I Support ClubWRX
    Idle Air Control valve.It is how the ECU controls the vehicle idle.A quick search will give you info on where it is and how to clean it............
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast