broke a coolant line

This is a discussion on broke a coolant line within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i was in the middle of installing a perrin crank pulley on my 08 wrx, little did i know it ...

broke a coolant line

i was in the middle of installing a perrin crank pulley on my 08 wrx, little did i know it was such a pain to get the a/c compressor belt off. there is no tensioner so i read a post where someone removed the bolts from the compressor to tilt it forward and get the belt on/off. i was attempting to do this when i heard a quiet "pshhhhh" coming from the line that goes from the coolant into the compressor. well, without thinking things through i felt the air coming from the place where the line and compressor meet and i went to tighten the bolt holding them together. i turned it slightly and the bolt broke and fluid sprayed everywhere. after this happened i saw a broken o-ring on the ground, so im guessing thats why it started leaking in the first place. so my questions are: is there any way i can get the dealership to fix this under warranty, especially since its a pretty minor fix? i know i wont have a/c now, but can i make a temporary fix and drive the car until i go to the dealership tomorrow?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Since it won't be costly, they might do it, just because they get paid whether or not SOA, or you are footing the bill.

You may want to explain to them that it was leaking, so you thought to tighten it yourself. When you went to do so, it broke. That's all they need to know. Don't tell them it happened while you were installing your crank pulley.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

yea im hoping they will be cool about it. in the meantime, if i turn the car on and leave the ac off is it still going to pump fluid all over the place?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ajtoce View Post
    yea im hoping they will be cool about it. in the meantime, if i turn the car on and leave the ac off is it still going to pump fluid all over the place?
    Hmm.... Probably, since the pulley is still connected to the accessory belt.

Give your dealership a call. Tell them what i had said, and see if they have any suggestions. They may have a courtesy tow. Some dealerships do. Especially on warranty claims.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

here are pics of what im talking about, since im not really sure if im explaining it right.

I Support ClubWRX
    make sure you bring that o ring in... and make sure that they're clear about what happened.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

posted the same pic twice:

I Support ClubWRX
    is there any way i can get the dealership to fix this under warranty, especially since its a pretty minor fix?
    By lying.

i know i wont have a/c now, but can i make a temporary fix and drive the car until i go to the dealership tomorrow?
    Since the system is exposed to the atmosphere you will want to pull a vacuum before refilling. To avoid debris entering the system and more parts needing replacement, consider covering any openings temporarily with tape or re-attaching the hose even loosely so there is no exposed orifice.

The hose is roughly $130 USD and the coolant needed is just a few dollars. EDIT: Doh! You won't need a new hose unless the fitting is shot, and that's probably unlikely. I should have thought of that.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 05-27-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

wait are you sure there is a tensioner on the 08? for the ac belt? theres one for the other belt just not the a/c because the a/c is a stretch belt.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ajtoce View Post
    wait are you sure there is a tensioner on the 08? for the ac belt?
    No. I can't read. My apologies. Your 08 became an 06 in my mind (what little there is of it!). Sorry again. My fault.

EDIT: I'm going to go back and edit my post above so nobody is misled.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

haha no problem ur not the only one to tell me that today

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I feel a bit better then... You'll need a bolt and an O-ring ideally (if nothing is chipped or stripped etc.). You'll still need to pull a vacuum on the system and then recharge.

how do i go about vacuuming the system? also, i have the guage and hose needed to refill the refrigerant but im not sure how to do it. any advice on that?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd take it to a shop, tell them what happened and that the system was open, and have them do it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Ok.

1: It's not coolant, it's R134A refrigerant mixed with a tiny bit of oil (lubrication for the compressor). It is a liquid while compressed in the system, but turns to a gas when leaked out. (how was the taste in your mouth after you breathed it?)

2: All of the refrigerant and oil are now out of the system. You cannot pump more out, nor will the compressor engage once the refrigerant is lost. There is a pressure switch that shuts the compressor off when the pressure gets below a certain point.

3: The line will need to be reinstalled with a new oring. Once the line and oring are reinstalled, the system will need to be evacuated with a vacuum pump, and recharged with refrigerant and oil.

4: This is not a warranty issue, and don't think you can pull the wool over the tech's eyes. It's very obvious what you did. Save the warranty issues for actual defects your car may have.

5: The whole thing will probably cost you between $175 - $275 as refrigerant is very expensive.
    Last edited by Trainrex; 05-28-2009 at 08:42 AM.