Horrible clutch noise (video, and searched)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Horrible clutch noise (video, and searched) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Iím sorry if this is been asked before, but I searched and didnít find anything. So I recently washed my ...

Horrible clutch noise (video, and searched)

Iím sorry if this is been asked before, but I searched and didnít find anything. So I recently washed my engine with a pressure washer and some engine degreaser called engine brite. After which, this horrible clutch noise came about and I shriek every time I hear it. Now Iíve heard of peoples clutches squeaking after a rain or washing their cars but this has been going on for two days now, and not only does it sound horrible but it feels like crap too. Itís not smooth, it sort of has the feeling of stepping on snow and compacting it. The engine still smells from the degreaser so the only thing I can think of is that there is a rubber boot type deal around the cable or something and there is some residue on it (kind of like chewing on a balloon haha)? Or something else has gone very wrong. I donít know much about clutches or the transmission so Iím at a loss. Just a bit of background information itís an 03 wrx with 88k miles on it and from what I know is stock. I also donít drive very aggressively, so itís not like Iím dumping it everywhere. So watch the video and any help is greatly appreciated; because this noise is just horrible .

Also, I am in need of some coolant soon. Do I have to use the Genuine Subaru coolant? Itís ridiculously expensive.

VIDEO: horrible clutch noise on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

This may have nothing to do with your problem but on my pickup the clutch made a very similar sound before going out. Hope its not your case.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    This may have nothing to do with your problem but on my pickup the clutch made a very similar sound before going out. Hope its not your case.
    Well how did it drive with it making that sound?
    Cause it pretty much drives the same except for a tiny bit of bog from a dead stop, although that just may be me making it do that.

I Support ClubWRX
    My clutch didn't squeak like that when it was going out.

Especially since the car isn't on when he's doing it.

I think he might just need to grease up the clutch pedal.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by l2yan View Post
    Well how did it drive with it making that sound?
    Well it progressively got harder to put into gear and got to a point you had to turn it off to put it into 1st or reverse. The shop said it looked like a grenade went off in there to cause that much damage, pieces of springs and **** everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

I don't think his is going out, and would try what you said, grease her up. The video just reminded me of the sound my truck made before going out.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Not the sound yours makes after the rain huh?

I Support ClubWRX
    More than likely there is water sitting in there. Rub a bit of lithium grease on the shaft that goes through the firewall. It'll help displace the water, and it'll help get rid of the squeak.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

More than likely there is water sitting in there. Rub a bit of lithium grease on the shaft that goes through the firewall. It'll help displace the water, and it'll help get rid of the squeak.
    Firewall? *embarrassed*

I Support ClubWRX
    Firewall? *embarrassed*
    look at your clutch. See the post that goes through the footwell?

The piece of metal that prevents an engine fire from spreading to the cabin is called a firewall. It's a divider between the engine compartment and cabin.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

look at your clutch. See the post that goes through the footwell?

The piece of metal that prevents an engine fire from spreading to the cabin is called a firewall. It's a divider between the engine compartment and cabin.
    Thats what I figured but I just wanted to double check. Well that will have to be tomorrows project.

Now, anyone know anything about that coolant?

Now, anyone know anything about that coolant?
    I apologize but no idea on the clutch. Kevin is more than likely correct though. A little Lithium grease goes a long way.

As far as coolant though, I use Redline Water Wetter with distilled water. I've logged 20+ degree temp drops over 50/50 (this is in FL during mid summer 98+ degrees).

And no, IMO, you do not have to use Genuine Subaru Coolant. Some people are nutty about only using Subaru Genuine whatever so take everyone's opinions as just that and then formulate your own GL
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

Quote Originally Posted by Sooby-Doo View Post
    As far as coolant though, I use Redline Water Wetter with distilled water. I've logged 20+ degree temp drops over 50/50 (this is in FL during mid summer 98+ degrees).

And no, IMO, you do not have to use Genuine Subaru Coolant. Some people are nutty about only using Subaru Genuine whatever so take everyone's opinions as just that and then formulate your own GL
    I think I'm just gonna use it for now seeing as I have other **** that I need to deal with on this car, and I'd rather just play it safe. Thanks though.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think I'm just gonna use it for now seeing as I have other **** that I need to deal with on this car, and I'd rather just play it safe. Thanks though.
    it's not a bad idea.

Find out first if the subaru stuff is 50/50, or 100% coolant. If it's 50/50, there is no reason why you should be paying so much for premixed. Premixing is a scam. They only way premix is a good idea, is if you are a touch low, and you have to add just a bit. Then it's just convenient.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

it's not a bad idea.

Find out first if the subaru stuff is 50/50, or 100% coolant. If it's 50/50, there is no reason why you should be paying so much for premixed. Premixing is a scam. They only way premix is a good idea, is if you are a touch low, and you have to add just a bit. Then it's just convenient.
    Yea that poped in my head after I called them and asked for the price earlier. Cause I certainly wouldnt pay $25 for premixed. I'll call and ask tomorrow and see since I cant get it today anyways.

My clutch sometimes creaks as well when I push it in, it doesn't do it often...I posted about this awhile ago...it's still working fine! It seems to only do it on days when its wet outside...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.