Front seat seatback spring bracket broke - ideas?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Front seat seatback spring bracket broke - ideas? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was minding my own business, driving down the street and I heard a SPROING. It felt like it was ...

Front seat seatback spring bracket broke - ideas?

I was minding my own business, driving down the street and I heard a SPROING. It felt like it was in the seat. I hit the back of the seat with my hand to feel around for the springs, and sure enough one of them was flapping loose.

I unzipped the right side of the seat cover, and one of the mounting brackets for the springs had snapped in half.

See this pic of the bottom spring, which isn't broken. You can see the other spring above it out of place.

The bracket itself snapped in half, as you can see here.

My question is whether you all have any ideas to fix it. I could get somebody to weld the broken half of the bracket back on. Otherwise, I can't see any way to fix just that piece other than grind off the old bracket, find a new bracket, weld the whole new bracket in place, and reassemble like new. All that requires a lot of labor that I don't have the tools for. The other option is pick up a junkyard seat and rebuild or replace the seat.

This is a pretty bizarre repair, but I'm open to any (cheap) suggestions.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Problem solved...for now

Talked to a guy who recommended a hose clamp to put the spring back on. So far, so good. The fix was cheap and easy, now we'll see if it holds and for how long.

Thanks for posting this!
    I have a similar issue with my couch, and will have to give that a try

If it works, it works. If not, you can always JB Weld that crap together.
    "A man can be with any woman, as long as he is not in love with her." -- Lord Henry

"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious."-- Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Thanks for posting this!
    I have a similar issue with my couch, and will have to give that a try
    On your couch, maybe you could look for a mounting point for a U-bolt. It would be ever so slightly less ghetto. Then again, in both cases the fix is completely hidden so who cares.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.