multiple component engine failure
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on multiple component engine failure within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well this story begins May 9 at 1am, i was driving to a mexican food restaurant on the freeway while ...

multiple component engine failure

well this story begins May 9 at 1am, i was driving to a mexican food restaurant on the freeway while going around 80mph. all of a sudden my 05 wrx makes a whipping type sound and proceeds to die on me. i pull over and have the car towed to my parents house with no idea what happened. the engine would no crank over. so later that saturday i tow the car to kearney mesa subaru to get it checked out. i tell them what i heard and the service adviser says that it could possibly be a bent crank. he then said that the car is within the 60,000 mile warranty (59,908 miles). i was super happy i thought it was beyond the factory warranty. so they say they are busy and wouldn't be able to check out the car till monday. so i say ok. come monday i call and try to find out if there was any news and the service adviser tells me to bring in all the maintenance records i have. so bring all the records for the year and a half i've owned the car and am told that they should have an answer by friday. so i call the dealership friday to find out that they have no started on my car and am told that they will start on it monday. well i decided to give them a few days to work on it. finally today i call and he has an answer for me. it turns out that i have a bent crankshaft, a couple of bent exhaust valves, and a ceased turbo. well the service adviser says that he is going to call me in the morning to give me a few recommendations. what could this be?? should i be scared?? my car only has an exhaust and tein coilovers. should this be covered by the warranty? any input guys?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

exhaust meaning a catback? turbo back?
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

cat back

is it an spt and installed by subaru or an other catback?

If its an SPT and installed by subaru you shouldnt have any worries.

if its another brand catback, i think they technically could use that as a grounds to potentially deny the warranty claim, as it is connected to the motor, however we all know a catback isnt going to bend a crank, but still they could use it against you. If they are willing to work, they might cover partial, which is where id assume the recommendations are coming from.

its a greddy ti-c catback. a shop installed it. oh wow...i'm yeah thats going to hurt if they partially cover it. he already told me that if i paid for it myself it would be over $7500. well my fingers are crossed. thanks. i'll post the "recommendations" as soon as i find out.

Yeah regardless of who installed it, its not SPT. I wouldnt get to excited, good luck. IF it is bad news, id look into learning how to fix it your self and save a couple grand and learn about the suby motor in the process.

subie is prity good with the waranties. i had a long discation with my sevice advisor about exhast. if i went turbo back the only thing it wouldnt cover was my exhast.

as long as you havent cracked into the engien or have a tune you should be ok

i have had realy good experance with subies warntie contracts espeshaly with an 05 STi. they are vary touchy about the tranie on thos. i had a syncro and fork going out between 4th 5th and 6th gears. they tor it down to see if it was abuse. i pointed out that most abuse to a trans is in 1st 2nd and 3rd. pluse all my seveces where kept up. so teh rebilt my trany. found out later at my speed shop what hapens between thos gears, the forks have plastick on the tips of them aparently one broke in my tranie.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Disago View Post
    subie is prity good with the waranties. i had a long discation with my sevice advisor about exhast. if i went turbo back the only thing it wouldnt cover was my exhast.

i have had realy good experance with subies warntie contracts espeshaly with an 05 STi. they are vary touchy about the tranie on thos. i had a syncro and fork going out between 4th 5th and 6th gears. they tor it down to see if it was abuse. i pointed out that most abuse to a trans is in 1st 2nd and 3rd. pluse all my seveces where kept up. so teh rebilt my trany. found out later at my speed shop what hapens between thos gears, the forks have plastick on the tips of them aparently one broke in my tranie.

Dude. SPELL. I'm hear to read and help, not spend 20 minutes deciphering WTF someone is writing..

To the OP.. an STI shortblock, from Subaru, is 1900$.. a gasket kit is 300-ish. used turbos are everywhere, for cheap. you'll also need an oil cooler, and a few other odds ends (t-belt, w/p, etc.) if you pinch pennies, you should be able to get by under 5K$.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX

And if you get that turboback exhaust without a tune you are risking a motor replacement yourself. And Subaru will NOT cover it.

And damn dude, did you pass 2nd grade?

ok so just heard from the service adviser and they are proceeding with warranty!!! i getting a new shortblock, heads, and turbo. the recommendations he mentioned were a new battery, change turbo hoses, change powersteering and ac belts, powersteering flush, and new clutch. so i extremely stoked!! my car should be done in a week and a half hopefully.

ya i know my spelling sucks ass. i was at work and in a rush as well. o and i dont have firefox for a browser there

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    Dude. SPELL. I'm hear to read and help, not spend 20 minutes deciphering WTF someone is writing..

To the OP.. an STI shortblock, from Subaru, is 1900$.. a gasket kit is 300-ish. used turbos are everywhere, for cheap. you'll also need an oil cooler, and a few other odds ends (t-belt, w/p, etc.) if you pinch pennies, you should be able to get by under 5K$.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by r1ckjam3s View Post
    ok so just heard from the service adviser and they are proceeding with warranty!!! i getting a new shortblock, heads, and turbo. the recommendations he mentioned were a new battery, change turbo hoses, change powersteering and ac belts, powersteering flush, and new clutch. so i extremely stoked!! my car should be done in a week and a half hopefully.
    request they replace the oil cooler thingy, too, dude.. i spent 2 days trying to clean the metal out of mine, when my 2.0 took south, and ended up getting a new one, because i could never get all of the metal shavings out of it.
    Rogan o_0

I Support ClubWRX
    ya i know my spelling sucks ass. i was at work and in a rush as well. o and i dont have firefox for a browser there
    is all good
    Rogan o_0

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    And if you get that turbo back exhaust without a tune you are risking a motor replacement yourself. And Subaru will NOT cover it.

And damn dude, did you pass 2nd grade?

you wont see any real gain till after the tune.

and as far as damaging the engine with the exhaust change with no tune. i relay dont see how.. it jest allows the exhaust to flow a little freer.

now if there where to much back presher that would be a different story especially for a turbo. i have seen flatten vains on some of the diesels i work on due to something casing a restriction from a muffler collapsing or a cat. melting (yes they have cat's)

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    is all good
    lol gots love foxfire tho. instant spell check

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.