multiple component engine failure - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

This is a discussion on multiple component engine failure within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Disago you wont see any real gain till after the tune. and as far as damaging the ...

  1. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX / Sterling, VA
    Posts
    6,629
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Disago View Post
    you wont see any real gain till after the tune.

    and as far as damaging the engine with the exhaust change with no tune. i relay dont see how.. it jest allows the exhaust to flow a little freer.

    now if there where to much back presher that would be a different story especially for a turbo. i have seen flatten vains on some of the diesels i work on due to something casing a restriction from a muffler collapsing or a cat. melting (yes they have cat's)
    Can someone else explain it to him? I don't feel like typing it out again. He needs to stop thinking and start knowing before it costs him a ring land.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Can someone else explain it to him? I don't feel like typing it out again. He needs to stop thinking and start knowing before it costs him a ring land.
    Cliff notes version:
    Turbo back exhaust + no tune = rich fuel mixture

    Rich fuel mixture + Subaru ringlands = possible breakage.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  4. #18
    Geriatric Ginger Mod Rogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    behind the wheel
    Posts
    8,188
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Disago View Post
    you wont see any real gain till after the tune.

    and as far as damaging the engine with the exhaust change with no tune. i relay dont see how.. it jest allows the exhaust to flow a little freer.

    now if there where to much back presher that would be a different story especially for a turbo. i have seen flatten vains on some of the diesels i work on due to something casing a restriction from a muffler collapsing or a cat. melting (yes they have cat's)
    subarus are a little unique, in that just about ANY change from OE on the intake or exhaust, screws with the AFRs dramatically. The ecu's are very sensitive to changes. A axle-back is no real issue. cat-back is getting borderline. turbo-back and you're looking for the ecu to freak out with the AFRs, unless you adjust fuel/air tables accordingly.

    This ain't no diesel
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

  5. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    northern va/D.C.
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    subarus are a little unique, in that just about ANY change from OE on the intake or exhaust, screws with the AFRs dramatically. The ecu's are very sensitive to changes. A axle-back is no real issue. cat-back is getting borderline. turbo-back and you're looking for the ecu to freak out with the AFRs, unless you adjust fuel/air tables accordingly.

    This ain't no diesel
    ya i was jest thinking about that on my way home from the doc's. the o2 sensor reading the wrong fuel/air and a big doh cam out..

    supposedly theirs a way around it tho. but i didnt do it. wouldn't recommend it ether. i put in cobb's stage 2 tune for there exhaust.

    and yes i know how touchy thees cars can be when you add something to it thats why i take it to a speed shop dto get things done.

    o and some of thees new diesels that are coming out are touchier then you think due to thees new EPA laws for them

  6. #20
    Geriatric Ginger Mod Rogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    behind the wheel
    Posts
    8,188
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Disago View Post
    o and some of thees new diesels that are coming out are touchier then you think due to thees new EPA laws for them
    don't get me started on diesel emissions and particulate filters, etc..
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

  7. #21
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    don't get me started on diesel emissions and particulate filters, etc..
    no need for particulate filters...just do what the germans do and pee into your diesel fuel

    I remember reading something about this called Bluetech or somethink like that.....
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  8. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX / Sterling, VA
    Posts
    6,629
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Cliff notes version:
    Turbo back exhaust + no tune = rich fuel mixture

    Rich fuel mixture + Subaru ringlands = possible breakage.
    Other way around. He'll run lean.

  9. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    northern va/D.C.
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    don't get me started on diesel emissions and particulate filters, etc..
    lol i take it you play with cummings too? there doing a campaign on the ones at my shop. reprogramming and replacing the heater grids

  10. #24
    Moderator YBNormal07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    6,245
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Other way around. He'll run lean.
    did i do my dyslexic thing again
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

  11. #25
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,638
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by r1ckjam3s View Post
    ok so just heard from the service adviser and they are proceeding with warranty!!! i getting a new shortblock, heads, and turbo. the recommendations he mentioned were a new battery, change turbo hoses, change powersteering and ac belts, powersteering flush, and new clutch. so i extremely stoked!! my car should be done in a week and a half hopefully.

    That's awesome!

    You should see how much out of pocket expense it would be to do a hybrid block.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •