Check engine light and cruise control

This is a discussion on Check engine light and cruise control within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I went to my local Subaru dealership today and bought an air filter. I installed it when I got to ...

Banned

Check engine light and cruise control

I went to my local Subaru dealership today and bought an air filter. I installed it when I got to my business and didn't think about it till I left later tonight. The check engine light was solid and the cruise control was blinking. So I checked everything to make sure nothing is unplugged and that the filter case is closed tight. No problems there. The manual for the car is useless for stuff you need so I was hoping someone here knew why my car started doing this and how do I get it to stop without going to the Subaru dealership. I don't want to have to pay the dealer to do stupid installs like an air filter just to avoid errors in the dash. That seems like a scam to me.

Also, I read somewhere else online that when it does this it puts the car in "limp mode"? Allegedly 30% less power, is that true?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Check again that you seated the top cover for the air filter fully and that there is nothing loose -- a vacuum hose or an electrical connector, say. Did you add fuel to the car recently? Check the gas cap too.

Other than that, you'll have to provide us with the CEL code for more help. Some auto parts stores used to read the code for free.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Did you unplug the MAF? maybe thats still undone...Of course if you have a code reader you could pull the code...