Stumped with a misfire problem - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Stumped with a misfire problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Donkey It has to do with the ECU and the way it interpenetrates a missfire.Other than that ...

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    It has to do with the ECU and the way it interpenetrates a missfire.Other than that every bit of info on misfire problems has been posted in this thread.
    Okay, you have provided some very good technical info about the ECU, both Subaru's and after market. You also in my opinion have a lot more computer smarts than I do. I'm not sure that if I were to download the Opensource software that you use I could figure out how to use it properly.

Would updating the stock ECU at at my Subaru dealship be a start, or would the updated ECU still interpetrate the misfire the same way and I would be wasting my money?

Should I bite the bullet and go to Opensource and try to figure out how to use it. Would getting Opensource help me with making my 2002 WRX better on the track (in addition to engine, brake and suspension mods)? I'm really interested in doing this once I figure out what mods I need and figure out the cost for doing it to see if over the long haul it will be cheaper than running the Z06 at the track.

I'm a 72 year old geezer who can get around on a computer, but when it comes to the real technical stuff I'm get confused.

I have a real good guy here in Florida that Dyno tunes my Z06, but since I'm new to my Subaru WRX I'm not sure of who I could take it to in South Florida.

Your input and others would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Thecabindweller's Avatar
    im still struggling with this problem. i cleared my check engine light to get my car inspected, but didn't wait long enough so they could check my emissions so i failed. and if i wait to long my engine light comes back on...so I'm stuck with a rejection sticker, and on top of that i need to replace my front suspension for it to pass as well....sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Thecabindweller View Post
    im still struggling with this problem. i cleared my check engine light to get my car inspected, but didn't wait long enough so they could check my emissions so i failed. and if i wait to long my engine light comes back on...so I'm stuck with a rejection sticker, and on top of that i need to replace my front suspension for it to pass as well....sucks
    I live in California - the hardest place anywhere to pass emissions and I passed with only 1 cat left in the exhaust

Try this - clear the CEL 1 day prior, and drive for at least 45 min to an hour and then straight to the emissions test. If that doesn't work; benjamin franklin and his friend mr. jackson may have to do the talking for you

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 4goingfast View Post
    Okay, you have provided some very good technical info about the ECU, both Subaru's and after market. You also in my opinion have a lot more computer smarts than I do. I'm not sure that if I were to download the Opensource software that you use I could figure out how to use it properly.

Would updating the stock ECU at at my Subaru dealship be a start, or would the updated ECU still interpetrate the misfire the same way and I would be wasting my money?
    Depends on how much they try to charge you.I listed earlier on in this thread the main mechanical diagnostics to try first before having to resort to reflashing the ECU.Have you tried them yet?

Should I bite the bullet and go to Opensource and try to figure out how to use it. Would getting Opensource help me with making my 2002 WRX better on the track (in addition to engine, brake and suspension mods)? I'm really interested in doing this once I figure out what mods I need and figure out the cost for doing it to see if over the long haul it will be cheaper than running the Z06 at the track.
    Sure.It's engine tuning.I now run 20psi compared to 13.5psi stock and spool up is considerably faster due to retuning as well.Also have retweaked my fan controls to have them turn on sooner if needed.Not to mention the datalogging programs and tuning tools that come with it.Trust me I'm not exactly a computer genius but if you don't take the time to just sit down play with it you will never get the hang of it.It's not like I just magiclly learned to use it.Here is their site

RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Rom Raider

I'm a 72 year old geezer who can get around on a computer, but when it comes to the real technical stuff I'm get confused.

I have a real good guy here in Florida that Dyno tunes my Z06, but since I'm new to my Subaru WRX I'm not sure of who I could take it to in South Florida.

Your input and others would be appreciated.
    Some really good info on USDM WRX's:Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Like I said,the software is pretty easy to use but it's like learning to ride a bike.It's pretty slow and awkward at first but once you start getting the hang of it you realize it's easier than you thought.I started off just learning to use the logging program and playing around with just looking at the maps but not making immediate changes to my car.Also dyno tuning is not always 100% required.I used a generic free tune off the Romraider site untill I got around to purchasing a more customized one from a remote tuner.After I got that tune I just compared it to the stock ROM to see where some changes were made then spent alot of time reading on the Romraider forums.Some other good info:
    Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / ECU
    A Complete Tuning Guide - NASIOC
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I didn't have any symptons either. I changed the plugs, used the old boots and the ignition coils.

Fired it up, ran all the dignostics that I could, all came up clean.

The next day I drove it to go work out and the check engine light came on. When I got home, all four cylinders recorded a misfire.

Is there areally a problem that is causing all these misfires that people are having, or is there something wrong with the sensor that detects them.

My next action is going to be to take the car into the dealer and see if I can get the ECU updated.

Will see what happens.
    All four cylinders misfiring can be caused by running a lightweight crank pulley and a lightweight flywheel at the same time. Do you have both of these on your car by any chance?
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

Registered User Thecabindweller's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by koogxone View Post
    All four cylinders misfiring can be caused by running a lightweight crank pulley and a lightweight flywheel at the same time. Do you have both of these on your car by any chance?
    I have a stage 2 street clutch and flywheel...would that cause it?

Donkey, okay I went back and checked your previous post, and I will work on points 2 - 8. I have only changed the spark plugs. I joined in this thread late and did not see your first post.

Koogxone, I don't have any light weight crank pully or flywheel so that is not the problem.

Thanks for the advice on not being afraid of learning and using the software. What release of Rom Raider are you using? 5.2b is a beta release as well 5.1b. Have you had any problems with their beta releases? I'll give it a try. You might regret your advice as I might become a pest with questions.

I will have to wait a while for both the mechanical fixes and getting to Rom Raider as I'm going to have hand surgery this morning and will be one handed for about 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for your feedback

I Support ClubWRX

Thanks for the advice on not being afraid of learning and using the software. What release of Rom Raider are you using? 5.2b is a beta release as well 5.1b. Have you had any problems with their beta releases? I'll give it a try. You might regret your advice as I might become a pest with questions.

I will have to wait a while for both the mechanical fixes and getting to Rom Raider as I'm going to have hand surgery this morning and will be one handed for about 3-4 weeks.

Thanks for your feedback
    The releases are always "beta". I use the 5.2b as it has more tools integrated in it. Also on their forum,just under the "tuning discusion" section is "tuning utilities and spread sheets" and "base maps". Both of those sections will help get you started as one contains some very good starting maps and a little tool called "learning view" that is super easy to use. Learning View will show the ECU "IAM" ,fueling corrections and also acts as a code reader/clearer. You only need 1 hand to play on the computer!Plus the Romraider program is "point and click". I would take that time to just play with the Romraider editor by opening all the maps and seeing how it works,what exactly you can change and where everything is. I don't mind answering any questions you might have. You will also need Ecuflash. It is also an editor but is the actual flashing software you will need to use.
    Main Page - OpenECU
    also a couple other usefull links:
    Opensource Read Up.. - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums
    OPENSOURCE HOW TO: Flash your ecu useing opensource software - Subaru WRX Forum: WRX Forums
    RomRaider/Ecuflash getting started FAQ - NASIOC

Hope the hand surgery goes well!
    Last edited by Donkey; 07-23-2009 at 07:03 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    It has to do with the ECU and the way it interpenetrates a missfire.Other than that every bit of info on misfire problems has been posted in this thread.
    I giggled at the bold.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I giggled at the bold.
    Ya like when I talk dirty huh.........

Wow,I didn't even catch that I did that
    Last edited by Donkey; 07-23-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

It just gets more weird every time

OK important update

Since my last episode I had given up on the misfire thing, left the CEL on, checked it when I got my oil changed - nothing new normal 1-4 with no symptoms. that was about 2000 miles ago, since then it flashed 3 times while at idle about a week ago then stayed solid (do I need to repeat that i had no symptoms that time either?)

So today I had to wake up at 4am and drive 81 miles to a CME Course in downtown L.A., when I left my house the CEL was on as usual. By the time I had gone about 50 miles it was off. Now it stayed off the rest of the way there. That was surprising enough but even more surprising was that it stayed off allllll the way home; 100 miles because I took a different route - 75 of which were spent in literal bumper to bumper traffic for an entire 3.5 hours (from my place to L.A. and back on a friday there really is just no avoiding it)

The reason it surprises me is because it wasn't a smooth drive back, between the time I left and arrive home that car had to have endured just about every condition it's been put through so far ever: from hard pulls in 2nd/3rd to weave around the slowest drivers, to an entire 10 mile stretch of creep - stop - creep - stop, to cruising steadily for short periods, to dead stop idling...and yet no "misfire"?????

At this point Donkey has sold me on Opensource due to being broke and needing some form of EM. Just need to save a little $ to get a tactrix and nice boost gauge.
    Last edited by Darkn3ss; 08-28-2009 at 10:16 PM.

My 2006 wrx stage II Catless TBE was givin me a cel in random cylinders every 100ish miles

Tracked it down to incorrect plugs. Previous owner used plugs that were too long! He also had the tires on backwards :/

Anyways, after checking threads and coil packs also I swapped for NGK plugs and the issue was resolved

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234