sudden spike in rpm.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on sudden spike in rpm. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 06 wrx with no mods with 58,000 miles on it. This morning was driving and had a ...

sudden spike in rpm.

I have a 06 wrx with no mods with 58,000 miles on it. This morning was driving and had a sudden spike in rpms and no power. I thought it might be a clutch but I have now slipping through out my gears. I was just on a windy back road a cruising in third and getting ready to go into fourth when it happened. Then i could not get it to repeat the problem. Anyone see this or something similar.

thanks
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like your clutch.....

I have an 04' with 51k miles and same here, I was just riding through third on my way to shift into 4th when all of a sudden the RPMs skied and I had no power and then it seemed to catch up toitself and start to pull. It does not do it all the time just seems like after about 30 to 45 minutes of driving it starts. this happens through 2nd 3rd and 4th. Just curious if anyone knows what it might be....
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

Sorry to post again I am just really hoping that someone has an idea what this could be.... obviously I have to bring it to a tech but I dont want to go to him without some type of idea into what it could be. Thanks for any help.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

man 36 views and still nothing other then a clutch as a possible issue. Could it really be the clutch even while Im nowhere near shifting, I know Im probably putting myself into the NEWB area here. But its not an issue of RPM spike when shifting its while Im accelerating, get up to about 3k to 3500 rpm and all of a sudden the rpms just sky to like 6 or so and then the car seems to catch up and then the car pulls. Im not really sure what it could be, this is my first turbo and AWD vehicle so any help would be great.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm afraid that it...

Quote Originally Posted by 4cyturbowrx View Post
    Sounds like your clutch.....
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
    man 36 views and still nothing other then a clutch as a possible issue. Could it really be the clutch even while Im nowhere near shifting, I know Im probably putting myself into the NEWB area here. But its not an issue of RPM spike when shifting its while Im accelerating, get up to about 3k to 3500 rpm and all of a sudden the rpms just sky to like 6 or so and then the car seems to catch up and then the car pulls. Im not really sure what it could be, this is my first turbo and AWD vehicle so any help would be great.
    Yes, it is your clutch, there isn't much if any question about it. The clutch works by friction while you are accelerating - it is engaged. If it slips it disengages and feels like if you pushed in the peddle a bit. It will most likely slip when the load is highest - i.e. at 3500 rpm when your turbo kicks in and you get a bunch of torque. It will be more likely in higher gears because load will be higher there too. If your RPMs are higher than they should be for any given gear & speed, for any time, your clutch is slipping.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Ok thanks for the help... just shows how newbish I am to not realize that it could be the clutch. Thanks for the help and now for the second part, I called my dealership and he quoted me 420 to install full clutch assembly regardless if I purchase the set there or bring him the parts. Is this a lot or does it sound reasonable. Im in the central Florida area anyone know a good shop or a good place to get a Exedy Stage 1 clutch kit and Flywheel. Thanks for the help.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

I Support ClubWRX
    try to start driving in 5th gear with your foot to the floor. If it bogs down, then your clutch is still gripping.

If your engine RPMs shoot up, then your clutch has to be replaced.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Ok , I tried the 5th gear start but it stalled out. Seemed to grab but I do believe that the clutch is the problem. 2nd through 5th gear as I am accelerating starting to apply pressure to the gas pedal it hits 3 grand and the pedal goes to the floor and will RPM spike to 6+ RPM. I am really hopeing this is just the clutch and not something worse, but I also hope its the clutch and when I get it replaced the problem dissapears. I dont want to spend around 800 to find that it wasnt my clutch. Any trick ways of figuring out if its the clutch for sure? Again any help is great.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty safe to say that it's your clutch. I can't think of much else that would cause RPMs to spike under throttle. I just went through this myself.

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey man. Sorry I couldn't explain this well while texting on my phone. It's a PITA to type on that iPhone.

Since it's hitting three grand and going wild... it's most definitely your clutch. You usually reach peak torque right around there.

Contrary to popular believe, horsepower does not hurt transmission or clutches. Torque does. And since your slipping right at your peak torque, that really sounds like a clutch.

Stick with an OEM Clutch and Flywheel, unless your planning on a turbo upgrade in the future.

If you're planning a turbo upgrade in the future, don't go past a stage one clutch.

I have the ACT Stage One clutch, and at sea-level was driving on 300whp 320wtq with no problems with an upgraded turbo.

There's no reason to waste money on a clutch that will harm your transmission if you don't warrant it. A large sticky clutch will cause shock to your transmission. From the sounds of it, the previous owner was an idiot, so all that extra shock from an after market clutch engagement is going to cause problems down the line.

OEM, or ACT/Exedy Stage one clutch... that's all I'd do.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Ok Im glad everyone is pretty much on the same paper here with it being my clutch. And yes the previous owner was na idiot, event recked the car in a front end collision. Traded the car in but before trading in he stripped car of all aftermarket parts. I am going to try and get my hands on an EXEDY Stage 1 clutch and Flywheel. Thanks again for all the help guys.
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

I believe it is your clutch as well...but one other thing to check for (because this happened to me) is your grounds and battery connection.

I was chasing down an RPM spike in mid throttle for weeks...it ended up being corroded battery connections and a loose ground on the intake mani...one of the big factors in your cars "personality" is essentially based off of voltage readings...if they fluctuate...a lot of other stuff can too. Think full voltage...bump moves wire, ecu gets no voltage...then signal comes back and bumps voltage up...etc. Anyway, that ended up being my problem which I found out after I replaced my clutch of course...issue was still there, but the clutch kinda needed replacing anyway so no big loss )

Anyway, as I said, sounds like the clutch to me...but another avenue to explore if nothing else.
    S&R Built 2.5/2.0 '03 Hybrid w/ PE1818
    Scott Siegel Tuned 308whp/320wtq
    Vogtland Club Spec Springs on KYB AGX's

******* I BOOST, therefore I AM! *******

Sooby, will do. I will check the terminals and make sure its free of corosion and make sure its tightened cause if thats the issue great. This is exactly why I posted this question on the forum. To get many other takes on what it could or might be. Thanks for all the help guys
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    "its never enough"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast