Help! Whining sound in nutural!

This is a discussion on Help! Whining sound in nutural! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I searched clubwrx.net and on NASIOC and couldnt find any answers to this particular problem: A low pitched whining/howling noise ...

Help! Whining sound in nutural!

I searched clubwrx.net and on NASIOC and couldnt find any answers to this particular problem:

A low pitched whining/howling noise when in nutural from 40-60+ MPH. The sound will only kick in while you are coasting over 40 MPH in nutural. I can run though all the gears 1-5 and everything sounds normal, but as soon as you put in the clutch at higher speeds there is a whining that sounds like its coming from the rear of the car. (especially with the rear windows down).
    You can also hear a little bit of the noise if you feather the throttle.
    I kinda ruled out bearings due to the sound when lightly touching the throttle, but I may be wrong. Any ideas? Thanks

Oh yeah, my specs: Owned car for 9 months. All stock except short shift and catback.
    Last edited by 1337; 05-08-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Providing more info

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Exclamation mine did that

Mine started as whine like that when you let off the throttle. then turned into grinding clicking sound, i thought it was the rear axle shafts. took it into a shop in town when it got bad here this week and they said sounds like the rear diff. drain the oil and said there was metel chunks in it.

Question aftermarket

anyone knows of a good aftermarket rear diff?