What Belt?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What Belt? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So just recently i have started hearing a squealing from under my hood. I have a 02 wrx with about ...

What Belt?

So just recently i have started hearing a squealing from under my hood. I have a 02 wrx with about 80k on it. I hear it every once and a while when i start it up and when it is idling. When it is idling its only a little cherp when the idle changes (when the fan turns on). But its starting to get annoying and its starting to do it more and more often. It isn't cold weather. I have been reading some posts and was wondering if it was my ac belt? or if not what belt is it? I would like to replace it pronto cause squealing belts isn't exactly the music to my ears that i want to be hearing when i start my car....

Thanks All

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First, get under your hood and see how both accessory belts look...any cracks or tears? also make sure they are tensioned properly...drive belts on these cars are an easy 20 min. change...Lock bolt/nut and adjusting bolts are all 12mm the drive belt cover nut/ bolt(s) are 10mm...

Ive looked at the belts and they look to be fine no cracks/tears anything... thats why when it started making noise i didn't know which belt it was..

Are the drive belts tensioned properly? Does this noise only occur when you turn the air conditioning on? How new are the drive belts?

No the noise has nothing to do with the ac. On or off it still makes the noise. No clue how new the belts are or if their tensioned properly.

Same thing happened to me, it was my Power Steering belt that went out, the squeeking came on gradually over the corse of 6 months or so. One day I was turning right onto a street and BAM. Lost power steering. Pulled over and sure enough my belt was shredded. It was a quick 20 min fix, just had to drive home with no power steering and the altinator was not being charged. No stereo, no AC etc.....

there should be a half inch of diflection for every foot of free length...If you have owned the car for a while and dont know when the belts where last changed personally I would throw some new belts on there (there pretty cheap and an extremely simple job)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.