unimpressed - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on unimpressed within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EvoEatr +1..I notice a huge difference...especially if its an STI over a WRX...the WRX seems to have ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    +1..I notice a huge difference...especially if its an STI over a WRX...the WRX seems to have way more turbo lag than the STI...granted there like a 70 HP difference...lol
    The catted up-pipe on the 2.0L doesn't help its case or it's displacement.Now more reality,the stock tuning of the ECU.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    The catted up-pipe on the 2.0L doesn't help its case or it's displacement.Now more reality,the stock tuning of the ECU.

You know I was thinking about that...So if you get a catless UP than your turbo-lag will decrease...makes sense...less restrictive...As for the ECU...what do they put a more aggressive MAP on the STIs? I guess that is somewhat the point of the SI-Drive though...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    You know I was thinking about that...So if you get a catless UP than your turbo-lag will decrease...makes sense...less restrictive...As for the ECU...what do they put a more aggressive MAP on the STIs? I guess that is somewhat the point of the SI-Drive though...
    Depends on which STi your talking about.Only the 08-09 have SI-drive which in stock form is nothing more than a throttle "massager" for the DBW throttlebody.Now tuners take that and retune into a sort of map selecting switch.The STi's mapping in gerneral is more aggresive due to the VF39 which has a slightly bigger turbine but much larger compressor than the TD04 but is acompanied by a larger intercooler,IC watersprayer and AVCS.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    No. You should be hitting less at altitude. What're you using for your boost? OEM boost gauge?
    I'm actually hitting 14 PSI at 2,000 feet, and spiking up to and maintaining 16 PSI at 5,000 feet +. Using an Autometer vacuum/boost gauge.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
    I'm actually hitting 14 PSI at 2,000 feet, and spiking up to and maintaining 16 PSI at 5,000 feet +. Using an Autometer vacuum/boost gauge.
    That's interesting. When I was tuned at 18psi at 6000 feet, I'd regularly hit boost cut when I went down to 1700 feet.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    That's interesting. When I was tuned at 18psi at 6000 feet, I'd regularly hit boost cut when I went down to 1700 feet.
    Were you tuned using the factory BCS, or an aftermarket one?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
    Were you tuned using the factory BCS, or an aftermarket one?
    OEM 2 Port.

I've stayed away from a 3 port because my tuner has seen quite a few problems tuning them in fair weather and then in the winter those cars have rough idling, boost spiking, and trouble starting.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Depends on which STi your talking about.Only the 08-09 have SI-drive which in stock form is nothing more than a throttle "massager" for the DBW throttlebody.Now tuners take that and retune into a sort of map selecting switch.The STi's mapping in gerneral is more aggresive due to the VF39 which has a slightly bigger turbine but much larger compressor than the TD04 but is acompanied by a larger intercooler,IC watersprayer and AVCS.
    Yeah I have heard of people selecting different MAPS controlled by the stock knob which i thought was a great idea...Its starting to seem kind of pointless to buy an STI now...for 10k difference in price an 09 265 HP wrx and a 305 HP STI...yeah i know the 6spd, brembos, DCCD, slightly bigger turbo/intercooler etc etc...however I dont think for 10k its really worth it...plus you can get the WRX in a sedan...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12