Does my BF really need a new exhaust? if so How much is avg cost?

This is a discussion on Does my BF really need a new exhaust? if so How much is avg cost? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I think he is not being honest. So I figured I'd become informed instead of asking him. My guy has ...

Does my BF really need a new exhaust? if so How much is avg cost?

I think he is not being honest. So I figured I'd become informed instead of asking him.

My guy has a Subaru Impreza WRX its 02 model with low milage. He drives a lot though and we purchased this car about 2 mo. ago. He drives many highway miles and residential as well. He recently made up a story abot how he cracked his exhaust and needs a new one. ( only a week ago he was so excited cuz he found a new exhaust online he wanted and I said no cuz he didn't need it) So now he needs one.

anyways
    Can't he get a used one?
    He says because his car the previous owner took out the Cats (catalytic something I think) so he has to get a new one

how much is labor on something liike this?

Whats a low end exhaust cost vs. high end?

Will this improve his gas milage? per gallon? will it lenghten the life of his car?

This is what he says and I just want to know.

He already made the deposit guys so don't worry if you think im going to squash his hopes to soup up his ride. I just want to be informed.

Thanks!
    Kristy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kmhabbl View Post
    I think he is not being honest.
    Here comes trouble.

It's not hard, but it is time consuming.
    http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/bes...49.html?t=6649
    Any exhaust shop can install one for 2-5 hours of labor (depending on the shop). Most exhaust shops charge $70-90 per hour.

If the previous owner took the cats out than, they likely installed an aftermarket downpipe, which are more likely to crack than the stock one.

Used ones can be found both here on Clubwrx and NASIOC

Cheap downpipes can go for as little as $120-150 on eBay. Most cost between $200 and $450. Really Expensive ones that include the Catalytic converter can be as much as $600

If just replacing a broken part then this will not effect gas mileage, and have very little effect on weight.

Something that will need to be addressed is if the check engine light is on. In that case please read this thread.
    Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

Also brows though the "FAQ" link in my signature.

Good luck
    Last edited by SeattleJeremy; 05-05-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Make sure he invests in a nice set of lightweight wheels and quality tires. They are one of the best single improvements that can be made to the handling... errr... gas mileage and safety of the vehicle.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

It really all depends what he means when he says he needs a new exhaust...the entire exhaust system? If you get the entire exhaust with high flow cat. convertors and all Ive seen Extremely decent systems cost around $800-$1000 in parts...I actually put an entire header back exhuast on an 06' Baja Turbo the other day...personally I got paid 5 hours for that....It all really depends what exhaust parts hes talking about... Exhaust installs on Turbo Subarus arent that complicated....he might even be able to install it himself if he is mechanically inclined/depending on the part....As for fuel mileage...I dont know about any increases...But a decent exhaust will definatley bring out that nice boxer rumble...

More from Kmhabbl

Hi again,

Thanks for all the information! wow I've learned alot.

Here is new info from the B/F : the exhaust is not cracked but he got a new one, I believe this is what you all are referring to as a down pipe? Maybe?

His check engine light is on because the catalytics are not there...

the shop he told me said his car would take an hour is that right?

and it sounds like he bought a new exhaust because the total for everything is about 600$...

I want to sell his old exhaust and recoup some money is that possible?

Thanks for all your support.. I love his car and he does too again just lookin for more info

~Kristy~

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kmhabbl View Post
    Hi again,

Thanks for all the information! wow I've learned alot.

Here is new info from the B/F : the exhaust is not cracked but he got a new one, I believe this is what you all are referring to as a down pipe? Maybe?

His check engine light is on because the catalytics are not there...

the shop he told me said his car would take an hour is that right?

and it sounds like he bought a new exhaust because the total for everything is about 600$...

I want to sell his old exhaust and recoup some money is that possible?

Thanks for all your support.. I love his car and he does too again just lookin for more info

~Kristy~
    He could probably sell the exhaust on ebay.As far as the CEL,thats correct, because the catalytic converters are not there the CEL is on.This will not let him pass emissions if you have that in your area.The best fix is a ECU retune.
    Downpipe FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    Exhaust FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I was going to say throw the old exhaust on craigslist...They sometimes sell off of there...

Well now...that was different, wasn't it?

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If he comes to you wanting a "blow off valve", "Front Mount Intercooler", or "Intake", he is BS-ing you, don't give in.

That may sound really weird if you read it wrong, but it is true.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    If he comes to you wanting a "blow off valve", "Front Mount Intercooler", or "Intake", he is BS-ing you, don't give in.

That may sound really weird if you read it wrong, but it is true.
    ... i think that was the dirtiest thing you've ever hinted at
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

ok so the subaru exhaust has 3 main pieces, the up-pipe, the down-pipe and the catback. ask him which piece he is getting. the catback is more just for sound and the downpipe is for better performance. the up-pipe is a safety precaution for car with more than stock power, because the cat in the uppipe can break and destroy your turbo. ask him specifically what exhaust parts he is wanting. a turboback exhaust is a combination of a downpipe and catback.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ajtoce View Post
    ok so the subaru exhaust has 3 main pieces, the up-pipe, the down-pipe and the catback. ask him which piece he is getting. the catback is more just for sound and the downpipe is for better performance. the up-pipe is a safety precaution for car with more than stock power, because the cat in the uppipe can break and destroy your turbo. ask him specifically what exhaust parts he is wanting. a turboback exhaust is a combination of a downpipe and catback.
    add manifolds, crosspipe and midpipe to your list of exhaust pieces.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    add manifolds, crosspipe and midpipe to your list of exhaust pieces.
    haha yes thanks for holding me accountable sinister! maybe i should have said main pieces that most replace first.

Quote Originally Posted by ajtoce View Post
    haha yes thanks for holding me accountable sinister! maybe i should have said main pieces that most replace first.
    Here's the diagram of an 02 WRX Exhaust system.