Lots of coolant going everywhere
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Lots of coolant going everywhere within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Guys... I drove to dinner friday night, drove home and dropped off the wifey, went down the hill to ...

Lots of coolant going everywhere

Hi Guys... I drove to dinner friday night, drove home and dropped off the wifey, went down the hill to the liquor store and got some beer. Started the car back up and it started plooming smoke, it smelled like coolant. Got the car home and pop'd the hood, let it cool off. I noticed one of the radiator hoses was cracked about 3" down the middle of it, I have attached a picture with what hose it is. I went to kragen, autozone, pep boys, napa.... the list goes on. Since it was a sunday, Subaru parts was not open. I'm headed there today at lunch, but do you know what the name of this hose is? The closest I have got is the " Radiator hose kit " on most sites that sell the blue or red powder coated hoses.

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: enginecdc.jpg

THis is not my car, just found a pic of an engine bay online for reference. I took the hose into the parts stores with me and nobody had it in stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Got my hose from Subaru... it was $11.96 out the door. Comparing the new hose vs the old hose, the old hose is bloated about 3 - 4 mm more than it should be... it makes sence now.

Glad you fixed the problem. It makes sense because your screenname infers that your car runs hot! Better look into a cooler thermostat.

Well, I dont know if the problem is fixed or not. I had about 1/4 bottle of coolant left, put that in there, and toped the rest off with water. Drove the car down the hill and back and it ran hot at first, than seemed to come down, but is stuck at the 3rd line if that makes sence. Maybe my thermostat went out and that caused the hose to blow. I believe the hose goes to the turbo. Not sure. I did notice a bit of turbo lag as well. Im going to let it sit, cool down and drive it again when I get home from work. I put it back in my garage and took the wifeys truck back to work.

Any chance I may have cracked a head? symptoms?

One thing I DID notice after doing some research on here, the Turbo resevoir, I did not put anything in that, and that is what the cracked hose was attached to.

I only drove it MAYBE 1 mile, if that, and only boosted once or twice, to notice the very laggy turbo. Which makes sence. So, I will post later my results. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

I am a relative n00b when it comes to cars... never had anybody to teach me about them.

I don't know what makes sense to you and what doesn't! Haha!

FWIW, the coolant hose above the turbo leaked on my WRX. I kept the hose, but replaced the clamp with a screw type one. Fixed it no problem.

I Support ClubWRX
    Let everything cool down. Check all connections. Then burp the system thoroughly and see what happens.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i had to burp my system like 9 times before i got it right.....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 4cyturbowrx View Post
    i had to burp my system like 9 times before i got it right.....
    That's a lot of gas.. that's 1/3 the alphabet you burped!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Drove the car to work this morning and it actually came up to temp alot faster than normal, and boost feels fine. I apparently had a boost leak going on and didnt realize it. My boost would taper off from 10 down to like 6 or 7 as I went up the RPMs. I understand the ECU cuts off the boost as your approach 7K, but mine would happen about 5 or 6. No CELs either. I had to burp my car like 2 or 3 times. Drove it up and down my hill ( long 2 lane road that goes about a mile than you can do a U turn and come back up. ) a few times and everything seemed to be normal. I was hoping it was not a blown HG, but it would have smoked alot more since. Oil Change this weekend, going to check my oil for water or shavings.

Thanks for all the help!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by My02WRXIsHot View Post
    One thing I DID notice after doing some research on here, the Turbo resevoir, I did not put anything in that, and that is what the cracked hose was attached to.

I only drove it MAYBE 1 mile, if that, and only boosted once or twice, to notice the very laggy turbo. Which makes sence. So, I will post later my results. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

I am a relative n00b when it comes to cars... never had anybody to teach me about them.
    I am assuming you filled the turbo reservoir.FYI- I hope you used a non silicone/non phosphate based coolant as well as distilled or deionized water.You cannot use Dexcool type anitfreeze either.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.