P0483 Gauge Fluxuation problem
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on P0483 Gauge Fluxuation problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ive been having a problem with this code i know its a fan performance code and what happens is the ...

Question P0483 Gauge Fluxuation problem

ive been having a problem with this code i know its a fan performance code and what happens is the temp gauge will creep up past 3/4 after the car is driven around to operating temperature and its usually at a stop light or stop sign it goes back down when i start driving again, thermostat has been changed twice already coolant levels fine timing belt and water pump done about 2k miles ago, only thing that hasent been done is the radiator... cooling fans working fine.. any insight would help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The code doesn't mean what one might think.

The code is indicating that what the ECU expects the coolant temperature to be and what the coolant temperature measures don't agree.

On the bright side, it comes down to basic cooling system checks. If the fans work, there are no leaks, the thermostat and the pump work then suspect either an obstruction or a blocked radiator (leaves,debris etc.).

The problem didn't start when you did the timing belt, did it?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

hmmm cooling fan rationality check....you said you fans work fine?...So they do cycle ON and OFF...Do they blow HOT air when they are on?...I had this problem on my legacy and It did turn out I needed a thermostat...Did you replace your thermostat with a Subaru OEM one or one of the Same heat range? Usually there are three common things that throw this code...cooling fans, thermostat, clogged radiator....your sure all the air is burped out of the system? as mentioned did this problem start after you replaced the timing belt/H20 pump?

p0483

this happened before i had the timing belt and water pump done they also did a thermostat then but im guessing it was a napa one and not an oem like i will have my garage do next, its even doing it on the highway now but almost always does it at a red light or stop sign thats why i had the h2o pump done i had reason to believe there was air in the system at one time but i had the radiator flushed and told them to make do best to try and get all air out...question if the radiator fins are bent does that means its junk there are no leaks no coolant that i can see sometimes i do hafta put some coolant in the over floow but never radiator i cant tell if the fans are blowing hot or cold they do come on and off and a/c fan does too, last night i go to start the car and the code had cleared itself im not sure whats going on cus it still happens quite often

exactly how many of the radiator fins are bent? a few wont hurt anything but if it looks like 3/4 of the fins are shoved down that could def. present a problem...I had a NAPA thermostat in my Legacy and it actually threw this code because the thermostat was stuck....I dont think the OEM ones are all that expensive....But if this problem was there before the timing belt and water pump and thermostat were done Im inclinded to say you have a clogged radiator...however I dont like guessing on things...Its difficult over the internet fore we cannot touch or see the vehicle/problems its exhibiting... Check to see if the fans are blowing hot or cold air...its easy..just wait for the car to get up to operating temp and the fans will kick on....is it hot air or cold air?

ok i had the OEM thermostat put in today it didnt make a difference the mechanic said there was small bubbles in the coolant though and they said they purged all the air out of the system, he said this could be the starting of a leaking head gasket...my question is if this is true whats the best solution do i put a new motor in or just have the head gasket done, car has 132k on it and still runs good except for this just dont want to dish out over 2Gs for a motor or a thousand whatever for the head gasket what do you think

or do i try putting a new radiator is first and spend less to see if that fixes it cus there are a lot of bent fins it may even be the original i cant tell

Wow...A Subaru Turbo model with a HG problem....this will be one of the first ones Ive heard of...Personally I work for Subaru and have seen hundreds and hundreds of blown HG's but they are almost all on the SOHC and DOHC 2.5's primarily from like 99-04..I have NEVER seen a Subaru Turbo model with a leaking head gasket...but yes it isnt out of the question....also 90 % of Subaru's HG problems leak externally....I would ask the tech to do a cooling system combustion leak test to check for exhaust gas in the coolant..Did he notice bubbles in the overflow with the car running or not running? Personally I would be replacing the radiator before I did the HG's obviously its much cheaper...that is how i was taught to deal with cooling system problems you start off with the least expensive and work your way up ( i know it sounds unprofessional) because obviously worse case scenario is the replacement of head gaskets....

I'm gunna stop by the shop in the morning and find out about the bubbles, it doesnt smoke bad at all like ive seen some cars with bad head gaskets i dunno i guess i'm confused at this point i'll hafta get the test done and dont know if i should just take it to subaru and get there opinion even tho its 10x more money to diagnois and 10 miles out of the way, i just hate to keep throwing parts at it but i guess a new rad cant hurt how can u feel hot or cold air from the fans i tried but its so close to the belts to stick a hand in there its hard to tell with heat from the engine ill keep you posted

I Support ClubWRX
    Another sign of a blown headgasket is the sweet smell of antifreeze in the exhaust or discoloration of the engine oil.It will make your oil look like chocolate milk and sometimes will leave a golden foam on the dipstick.A leakdown test might pinpoint a problem cylinder.The ddown side to the boxer motors is you basicly have to pull the motor to remove heads or pistons/rods.On I4's it's pretty easy pulling heads or doing a bottom end change out without removing the motor.
    Last edited by Donkey; 05-06-2009 at 07:39 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Another sign of a blown headgasket is the sweet smell of antifreeze in the exhaust or discoloration of the engine oil.It will make your oil look like chocolate milk and sometimes will leave a golden foam on the dipstick.A leakdown test might pinpoint a problem cylinder.The ddown side to the boxer motors is you basicly have to pull the motor to remove heads or pistons/rods.On I4's it's pretty easy pulling heads or doing a bottom end change out without removing the motor.
    Yes quite true...but thankfully these motors are cake to pull out...

i'm gunna have the head gasket test done on the car and see what the mechanic says, it does not smoke out the exhaust bad and i dont smeel coolant at the exhaust, is it possible it could be a coolant temp sensor? i just dont want to have this job done and then find out it wasent that and it was something small that I could do. The oil looks fine although once in a while i do have to throw like half a quart in and once in a while i have to top off the overflow tank at the line with a bit...?

yea def. let us know what he finds out about the combustion leak test I think this is the first step....Also I would think It is somewhat remotely possible for a bad CTS to throw this code however it is much more likely that if you had a bad CTS it would throw a code for the CTS...

i'm gunna get a coolant temp sensor tommorow and new radiator caps just to be sure its not a small thing, whats the story with bars leak or any other kind of leak fix...is it worth trying if this fails and the test fails??

heres what i dont get, it didnt do it at all today and sometimes for a few days it wont, ive never seen it smoking under the hood even when the gauge goes up past 3/4 i get out and open the hook and look for smoke and coolant leaks etc...sometimes it will do it for like 3 days then stop for 2 or 3 days or a week but latley its been doing it more often not today tho its a trip cant wait till its figured out stressed over this

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.