annoying noise

This is a discussion on annoying noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I get on the gas there is this vibrating metal sound, what is it and what can i do ...

annoying noise

When I get on the gas there is this vibrating metal sound, what is it and what can i do about it. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Try to localize it first. Is it a heat shield rattling? It's not wastegate flutter you're hearing, right?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Not the wastegate but could be the heatshield, can i take that off without any bad side effects, also looking to upgrade do you know of any sites that i could browse for turbos, would like not to spend a ton of money but want some more hp

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Evokilla81 View Post
    can i take that off without any bad side effects
    Not usually but people do it. I'd not. I would remove it to test if it's making the noise though.

, also looking to upgrade do you know of any sites that i could browse for turbos, would like not to spend a ton of money but want some more hp
    Browse the site vendors. They support the site and are reputable firms subjected to site user feedback here and elsewhere. Keep in mind though that a turbo is bolt on in name only. You will need other parts, meaning more money, so it's not where to start if you're on a budget.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have a Downpipe, if it's rubbing the transmission crossmember, this will cause a rattling sound. I had this happen when I first installed my dp. More than likely it's the heatshield though!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

If your noise sounds like a clicking sound, Check the contents of the up-pipe. This happened to me probably 3 months after i got my 02' used. I got it from a Volvo dealer actually,,, but it still had factory warranty, saved me a turbo. Turns out the contents of the UP got sucked into the turbo and was disintegrating the fans on the turbo. Car Ran fine, than started to be a little slugish, than one day, I had vacume, but no boost. Figures. They replaced the turbo AND the UP. than Less than a year later, after running a manual boost controller I'm working on my 3rd turbo now. Second one cost me $1300 installed at the dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Evokilla81 View Post
    Not the wastegate but could be the heatshield, can i take that off without any bad side effects, also looking to upgrade do you know of any sites that i could browse for turbos, would like not to spend a ton of money but want some more hp
    Slow down, mate! Instead of jumping in head first with your 2nd post with several questions, first research and feel around the forums for a bit. A wealth of information is right under your twinkly fingertips.