oil change after rebuild

This is a discussion on oil change after rebuild within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got my WRX back from the dealer a little less than a month ago. It had a spun ...

oil change after rebuild

I just got my WRX back from the dealer a little less than a month ago. It had a spun bearing so everything was replaced. They just told me to follow the break in procedure in the manual (under 4k rpms for 1000 miles with no boost) Typically how long should you wait to change your oil after work like this? I'm just really paranoid that something is going to happen to my car again. My car has about 600 miles on it since i got it back from the dealer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I've done it several ways. I've changed oil at 1k and 3k miles and I've waited till 3k. If you want to be cautious, change the oil and filter as soon as your break in period is up.

Thanks for the response. I asked the same question over on NASIOC yesterday and no one was really friendly about it. Many people said that it should have already been changed twice by now. They just made it seem like it was a huge deal that i haven't changed it already and i've just been really paranoid about it since then. I will be getting the oil changed on Friday just to be safe so i will be at about 700 miles since the rebuild. I'm going to just have the dealer let me know how my oil looks and ask if everything sounds good. Are tiny metal flakes normal after a rebuild? I know chunks aren't good but I would imagine there would be at least some metal in the oil?

I Support ClubWRX
    I did something a bit different. I did the 1,2,3,4,5 change. first 1k, then 3k, then 6k, then 10k, then 15k, and I do it every 5k now.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Alright I guess i've just been really paranoid about it. I really need the car to last me a while so it's a big deal to me. Are very small amounts of metal in the oil normal after a rebuild? I only ask because it looks like there might be very very small amounts of metal in my oil when I check the dipstick? Is this something to be worried about?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FCPremixx View Post
    Alright I guess i've just been really paranoid about it. I really need the car to last me a while so it's a big deal to me. Are very small amounts of metal in the oil normal after a rebuild? I only ask because it looks like there might be very very small amounts of metal in my oil when I check the dipstick? Is this something to be worried about?
    Change your oil ASAP if there is metal visible... and make sure you change your filter too. It would help to get a magnetic drain plug as well.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I'm not sure if there is metal or not. It looks like there might be very very tiny little particles in the oil but i'm not sure. I could just be really paranoid. I've had very bad luck with the car since i've owned it so everything sort of freaks me out about it.

I Support ClubWRX
    The filter should be trapping particles larger than a few hundred microns; however, the filter does not process the entire volume available all the time.

Since you are worried and since this is a new build and someone may have left a beer can or an anvil in there go buy 10L of oil and two filters and change it now, drive 1000, and change it again, then see what happens. My guess is "nothing" but you'll not have hurt anything either. If the motor was assembled correctly you'll be fine.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.