Ball join question - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Ball join question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; no no no no you dont have to buy any axles..just swap the front two...swap the left front to the ...

no no no no you dont have to buy any axles..just swap the front two...swap the left front to the right front and the right front to the left front (they are interchangeable)...you said you hear the noise is the passangers side front of the car right? well if you swap the axles and now you hear the noise is the drivers side front of the car you know you prob. have an axle problem..you said the P/S front axle is new no? and the drivers side front axle is stock im assuming...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Ok. I thought you meant swap as in replace. Lol. But yeh. Swapping them around is a great idea. Now I just need a torque wrench and the torque setting for the bolts. But I read somewhere that when you take the axle nut off then you need to use a brand new nut. Because of the high torque and slightly messing up the threads. True?

Personally unless im replacing the axle I dont use a new nut..I never have and Ive done hundreds of them...the axle nut should be a 32mm...just make sure when you pop the axle nuts back on after the swap that you stake them...Oh make sure you loosen the axle nut before you throw the car up off the ground..unless of course your using an impact gun...

Ok. Sounds good. Know the torque settings for any bolts that require them? I'm on my blackberry right now lol.

it really all depends how your going to be taking the axle out..there are like 3 or more different ways to remove it...um just remember the axle nut should be like balls ass tight..lol...honestly im so used to running all the bolts in with my impact gun i dont remember...lol...

well i got 2 ball joints from advanced and went to put them in and sway axles to see if the noise changed. getting the ball joint out was a huge pain. but it eventually came out. the thing i noticed was how easily i could pull the cv axle out of the tranny. once the ball joint was gone i could sit there and just pull and push and move the cv in and out very very easily. i went under and looked and i saw this. it looks to me like evidence that the axle is slipping and causing the twist and stretching of the boot. is there a key or pin or something that is supposed to hold the axle in atleast semi tight ? should i remove and inspect the splines of the tranny? what are the chances of them being toast? i hope i can just replace the axle and not get in to deep here. any ideas? or things i didnt mention/think about to do or check ? Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01559.jpg  

do you see the little hole in the side of the axle which aligns with the stub shaft (the part that sticks out of the trans) is/was there any pin in there that you knocked out before you removed the axle? im assuming this picture is the side that your hearing the noise from? with the boot all twisted like that im thinking maybe the axle/inner DOJ broke or something.Personally I would pull that axle and inspect the teeth on the stub shaft and on the part of the cup that goes around the stub shaft also..
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 05-10-2009 at 02:04 PM.

i didnt take out any pin. i didnt swap the axles. i figured i would put the ball joints in and take it for a spin and if the didnt fix anything then i would swap the axles. they fixed the noise. lol. no popping or anything doing circles and figure eights in a parking lot. there is still the rock stuck in tire sound when on the highway going to the right. idn what that is. but i only drove the car for like 15 mins so the true test comes tomorrow. ill have a good couple hours driving. as for the axle i just let it slide back in and installed the ball joint like normal. is that bad?

well the axle should have a spring pin in it which goes through the stub shaft and inner DOJ housing.....If that pin isnt there there is a chance that you could strip those teeth which is obviously pretty bad...lol...im glad you got the noise taken care of though....hopefully

You mention hitting a pothole and it sounds like that's when the sound started right? It sounds like you may have some suspension damage if that's the case. You can damage a CV pretty easily in an accident like that because you can extend the length of it pulling the CV joint apart, but it sounds like you may have something else rubbing because your suspension geometry is off. Have you tried visually and with a tape measure & angle gauge comparing the two front suspensions to see if they're still the same?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123