Ball join question - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ball join question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; no prob man...It is difficult over the internet because we cannot hear or touch the car/defective part....If its any help ...

no prob man...It is difficult over the internet because we cannot hear or touch the car/defective part....If its any help the ball joint pinch bolt should be i believe a 14mm and the castle nut is a 19mm..dont forget to undo the 14mm nut/bolt from the sway bar link...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

thanks alot for the tips. do you think it matters what brand ball joint i get? or just get the cheapest one?

Personally Ive never had a problem/heard of any problems with an aftermarket ball joint so Im going to say go ahead....

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

hello again. I didnt get the ball joint and put it in but i have new information on the issue. this is getting very frustrating. i had another mechanic look at the car today. he rode along with me and listened to the noise and he said it sounds like the cv axle. if im driving on the highway and turn to the right you can feel a rumble. very fast rumble but its not loud. you can barley hear it but you can feel it in the floorboard of the car with your feet. its actually more like your hearing the vibrations from the floorpan then hearing the actual rumbling. now i can see if im turning to the left how that would pull the left wheel to the outside of the car and maybe be giving the cv axle just enough of a pull for the splines to slip. right? idn. i know we are prolly talking about fractions of fractions of an inch but it seems logical. and it seems to me that a ball joint wouldnt make the faint rumbling while holding the wheel steady into a right turn. but.... would a cv axle cause popping when you hit a bump? thanks for the input guys. this is driving me crazy. lol. and keep in mind that the sound is coming from the left front of the car.

have you checked the axle nut to make sure its tightened all the way...You said this was a subaru OEM axle? As ive said ive seen it dozens of times where someone needed a new axle so they went to Bills auto repair and threw in a NAPA unit and had odd problems...Ive even gotten complaints about vibrations at idle yes because of an aftermarket axle..lol...The whole car doesnt vibrate/bind when you turn does it?

i had it replaced before so i assume its a remanufactured. i asked them for a new one though. the car doesnt vibrate at idle. the mechanic that rode with me said it sounded like it was coming from the middle of the car.

does the whole car vibrate/shudder...how about if you go to an open parking lot and do figure eights with the wheel all the way lock to lock do you get a shudder/vibration throughout the car? or is it just a noise?

yes. a little bit of stuttering. not strong though.

this kind of sounds like a center diff problem...if the ENTIRE CAR stutters/shudders when you do hard turns also the tech said it seemed to be coming from directly under the center of the car? Is this a Subaru dealer tech?....This is a 5 speed manual right?...Its not to uncommon these have problems....although with 85k miles it seems just a tad early....
    Go to an open parking lot and do a series of figure eights do you get the studdering? Where are you located anyways?
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 05-07-2009 at 05:42 PM.

the entire car doesnt shake. its just a rumble or rattle that carries through the car. its a 5 speed manual.

Man this is even frustrating for me and its not my car..Thanks to the internet......Anyways Um..You said you could be crusing on the highway and make a slight turn and you hear a rumble......Bad Inner DOJ joints will do this sometimes...But I still find that hard to believe if you have a Subaru Reman Axle in there..Personally If I was in your situation I would swap the two front axles and see if the noise changes location....I wouldnt want to keep throwing parts at it...lol...it can get expensive....

Lol. Thanks for helping me out with this frustrating issue. I just now thought of the perfect way to describe the noise. Its as if there is a slight knot or a small rock in a tire. Very fast and faint noise like that. And I forgot to say that I'm in virginia around chesapeake area. So I I replace 1 axle then I need to replace the other also? I know you replace suspension parts in pairs to keep stuff even. Axles the same?

no prob. man...axles arent really the same...you can if you want for preventative maintaince but personally i dont think its worth it...Just replace what is needed..I dont know if your mechanically inclined to do your own work....but like I said I would swap the front axles side to side and see if the noise changes with location...

Axle Assembly - 2002 Subaru Impreza - AutoPartsWarehouse.com

So which axle should i get? whats the difference between empi and feq ? what the heck is that. lol. im looking up axle removal and replacement guides right now. if yall know of any post link plz. thanks alot everyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.