06 WRX idling and stalling issues

This is a discussion on 06 WRX idling and stalling issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 06 WRX recently is idling strangely... it's a little "jumpy". It'll hold around 700 rpm, then drop to almost ...

QFT

06 WRX idling and stalling issues

My 06 WRX recently is idling strangely... it's a little "jumpy". It'll hold around 700 rpm, then drop to almost nothing, then jump above 1000 as it settles back to around 700 again. It's worse/more noticeable when the climate control is on. Also, it occasionally stalls out at idle, or near idle. The other day it was in neutral, no a/c on, and it just shut off. It stalls out VERY gently, you wouldn't notice with the radio on. I've noticed it does it to me occasionally when I back up and then try to shift into first. Any ideas? I read a couple of the other threads but didn't see anything for an 06/07.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Itemize your modifications (if you have any). Thats going to be the first thing people ask you when attempting an over-the-internet diagnostic.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

QFT
    No mods.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is it an auotmatic or manual?Check to make sure the airbox lid is correctly installed.Check for loose/cracked vacuum hoses.Maybe try cleaning the MAF and reset the ECU.Any maintenance/work done to the vehicle lately?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

QFT
    5-speed. No work done on it recently, aside from me changing the oil on it.

Now that I think about it though, the plastic undertray/skidplate thing is missing... would that leave anything vulnerable to damage, like a vacuum hose? Yes, I'm talking out of my ass because I don't know about this stuff.

I Support ClubWRX
    My car did this when I got a new flywheel.. I had to raise the RMPs of the idle. Otherwise it may be a MAF issue.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

check/clean your MAF. Clean/check your idle air control unit.

QFT
    New info: it seems to be directly related to the fans coming on... I was sitting in my car eating lunch. It would idle fine around 500 rpm until the fan kicked in... then it had trouble. It even stalled out once. It was idling in neutral.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have a multimeter you can check the battery and alternator voltage.If not get them both tested.Also check the belt tension for the alternator.You should be idling more like 750 rpm than 500rpm.Maybe you IAC valve does need cleaning.Don't know what to tell you.I could go on all day but you not being mechanically inclined with cars doesn't help.Are you still under warranty?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

QFT
    Actually, I'm mechanically inclined just haven't really messed with cars... especially the ones whose engines look like spaghetti messes

So I can take a look. And I've got knowledgeable friends too. And I have a multimeter as well!

I've got just under 50k on it, so the drivetrain is covered until 60 but I figured this probably wouldn't fall under the warranty.

QFT
    Think I've got it fixed... cleaned what I believe is the MAF (right behind the air filter?) and it seems to be idling much better - it's idling around 1000 rpm and raising a bit more (and holding pretty steady) when the radiator fan or AC come on.

It had some carbon deposit on it... I bought some cleaner and I think that solved it. Thanks guys!

(wish I hadn't removed the alternator first but live and learn)