CEL and sudden loss of fuel/fuel pressure??? HELP!!!

This is a discussion on CEL and sudden loss of fuel/fuel pressure??? HELP!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok i'm new to the subie scene and i turn to the forums for help...on monday (04/27) the CEL came ...

CEL and sudden loss of fuel/fuel pressure??? HELP!!!

ok i'm new to the subie scene and i turn to the forums for help...on monday (04/27) the CEL came on on my 02 wrx wagon w/approx 99k miles on it. so i did some research and read that it could possibly be from the gas cap not being tightened all the way...so i reset the ECU (disconnect neg battery wire, pump brakes, wait 10 mins, and re-attach battery wire) and tighten the gas cap...problem solved...

fast forward to today (thursday) the CEL pops back on and my fuel level doesn't even move up (knowing i had atleast 1/2 tank) and my fuel light comes on. as i'm sitting there idling it goes back up to 1/4 tank and fluctuates between empty and 1/4 tank. once i start driving the fuel needle goes back up to 1/2 tank but the CEL is still on.

now the car runs great minus a little bit of a rough idle on cold start...i'm thinking it has to do with the MAF or the fuel pressure system...but then again i'm new to subaru and turbo cars and have no clue what's goin' on.

can anyone please help me with this? or tell me what steps you've taken after having a similar problem? i def plan on getting the codes read but i'm hoping to hear from people that have had the same problems. thanks in advance!!!

pic for views. pic of the car in question is behind the M3

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The easiest way for help is the code. I don't want to make this sound like an easy cop-out, but the computer knows more about what's going wrong with the car than you do!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

^^^

yeah i figured that, but since its kinda late here in NJ i was hopin' some peeps that are still awake could help me out and point me in the right direction other then tellin' me to get the codes read right away. plus money is tight and i think pep boys/auto zone/advanced auto want 90-100 for a code scan.

thanks for the response though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JERZEE_WRX View Post
    ^^^

yeah i figured that, but since its kinda late here in NJ i was hopin' some peeps that are still awake could help me out and point me in the right direction other then tellin' me to get the codes read right away. plus money is tight and i think pep boys/auto zone/advanced auto want 90-100 for a code scan.

thanks for the response though.
    I did my code scan on my dad's truck for free at Checker's the other day.

I'm about 95% positive no one charges for a code scan at autoparts stores.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

yea whatever you do dont bring it to the dealer...to have the scanner hooked up and the code pulled almost all the places i know charge 1 hours labor....Where are you located? Shot in the dark here without the code..I would guess the FP/Fuel level sendor...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I did my code scan on my dad's truck for free at Checker's the other day.

I'm about 95% positive no one charges for a code scan at autoparts stores.
    i went to pep boys and auto zone and they both charged $90...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    yea whatever you do dont bring it to the dealer...to have the scanner hooked up and the code pulled almost all the places i know charge 1 hours labor....Where are you located? Shot in the dark here without the code..I would guess the FP/Fuel level sendor...
    yeah i def know not to go to the dealer just for a code scan...i'm in south jersey...looks like i'll be gettin' the codes read this weekend...

thanks for the responses so far.

any other suggestions?

UPDATE: 05/03/09

took the car to the place i purchased it at and got a free scan and this is what it came up with...

"fuel level sensor circuit, high input"

now is this a common problem with the 02 wrx's and is it a DIY fix? thanks!

Ive seen a few of these sensors go bad with just Subarus in general...mostly like 00' on..a couple outbacks and such...You prob just need a new fuel level sensor/sender....I believe there are two of them in that car...one is part of the fuel pump assembly and than there is a seperate one under a smaller access cover in the trunk area...

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Ive seen a few of these sensors go bad with just Subarus in general...mostly like 00' on..a couple outbacks and such...You prob just need a new fuel level sensor/sender....I believe there are two of them in that car...one is part of the fuel pump assembly and than there is a seperate one under a smaller access cover in the trunk area...
    is this what the "high level and low level" mean?

hmmm...kinda sounds like a simple DIY...but i could be wrong...any clue how much those parts go for and what the job entails? thanks so much for the help.

the sensors/senders are in the tank..thankfully there are two access covers under the cover in your trunk....Its a pretty simple job to replace them....Im not sure which one you need though...... take a look here... http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/3%20...C%20ENGINE.PDF search P0463 it should give you a flow chart... like I said chances are you need one or both of the sendors but personally I would rather not guess...