possible broken rod...what to do what to do

This is a discussion on possible broken rod...what to do what to do within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, my car broke down while I was on the highway yesterday. It lost all power and began to ...

possible broken rod...what to do what to do

Hey guys, my car broke down while I was on the highway yesterday. It lost all power and began to shut off. I drifted to a stop then let it sit for a couple min and tried to restart. It didnt want to turn over but was then followed by a dangerously loud banging which me and my friend aka the guy who towed my car for me on his flatbed agreed sounded like a broken rod. I am hoping the damage isnt to severe in the cylinder but dont know yet. I took it to a highly respected subaru mechanic around my area to check it out. If it turns out thats what it is and there is some internal damages, would anyone personally prefer a complete motor replacement opposed to trying to resleave it and get new internals? I dont know much about this area. If it needs to be replaced due to damage, is it possible to swap it for a sti motor from the same year without problems? any assistance on this major breakdown situation would b awesome..thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

can't say that i am a genius in this area but if you have the 2.0 i would take this opportunity to get the STi motor, alot of things are the same over the models and years the only real concern would be the ECU and mapping. but if you have the 2.5 and you can get away with replacing the pistons, rings and rods i would do that.

yeah thats what i was thinkin about, an sti swap. Im going to look much much further into this possibility. not a clue to where to even begin to start finding a used sti motor to perform the procedure. Hopefully some more people will spot this thread and have some insight for me to take into consideration.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Search for hybrid motor (or build or swap) you will find a bunch of info. The costs do add up though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

or the most logical, trade it in for an STi ... realistically it is probably the cheapest way to go